Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Where do I buy glass to make an aquarium?

More
15 May 2011 20:01 #1 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
I have a Jewel 180L and Stand which fits an alcove in my house perfectly but I thought about making an aquarium to fit the same stand but with added height, maybe 50% taller, turning it in to a 270L. I could even use the plastic trimmings from the original, so its just the glass I need.

How much am I looking at for just the Glass, and where can I buy it?

Is there much filing involved or will it be cut to size?

Any DOs and DONTs to building you own aquarium?

Thanks,
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2011 20:29 #2 by JohnH (John)
Dave,
Here is the link to Puddlefish's excellent article:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/artic...bystep-tank-building

A good read covering all your questions.

As to getting the glass, that can be better answered by someone more familiar to your locality.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
15 May 2011 23:49 #3 by JohnH (John)
Sorry,
That was just the illustrations - I'm searching for the text relative to this here's one bit:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...uilding-a-tank#71923

Here's what I was looking for for you Dave:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/fforu...-in-the-making#71476

John

ITFS member.

More
16 May 2011 20:11 #4 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
Thats awesome...makes it look easy...

I wonder how much he would charge to do a job?

More
16 May 2011 20:26 #5 by JohnH (John)
Send him a PM, he's a pleasant chap and the worst he can say is €1000!!! :whistle: (Me, looking for commission? - of course not) :evil: :-((

Or that he doesn't have the time.

Another thing is he's 'the other side' of the Border - but no doubt he'll tell you that himself.

John

ITFS member.

More
17 May 2011 06:27 #6 by manius112 (Mariusz Kaminski)
Just collected my 2 new tanks. If ya wont this guy can make any size aquarium ant ticknes of glass and including opti white. Bigger tank ya want less gona cost ya but its about 1€ per liter and less when aquarium is bigger.he can cut to any size and drill aswel.lett me know if ya need any info.i have no problem to get ya quotation of him.he lives in blanch.cheers

More
01 Jun 2011 15:27 #7 by DaveyH (Dave Horan)
Thanks for the info peeps... I have started shopping for a new car... if that falls through I will def drown my sorrows with a new aquarium .(excuse the pun if there is one)

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds