Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

remove glass section

More
29 Mar 2007 14:01 #1 by Tetra (Tetra)
quick question have a tank which is 400 litres and it has a glass divider siliconed done the middle would it be possible to remove this and just cut two small glass lattes and place one at the top and one at the bottom for support...

also is there anywere that drills glass for a sump (is it pricey) as not really up to date on overflow boxs

cheers folks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2007 14:18 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Can you give the dimensions of the tank including glass thickness.
I dont think it is possible to drill an existing tank.
If you are planning on drilling a pain of glass before the tank is made it should cost about €15-€20. A glass shop will do this for you.[/quote]

More
29 Mar 2007 14:55 #3 by Tetra (Tetra)
ah the tank is already made I suppose an overflow box is the only way now the dimensions are roughly 3ft*2ft*2ft glass thickness hard to tell as i havent picked up the tank yet

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Mar 2007 15:34 #4 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: remove glass section
depends where you want to drill it, if its on the side theres no problem, if its the base depends how far in from the side you want to go. i have drilled 6 of my tanks so far, and have not come across a problem, but i did buy a stand drill, i dont think you could do it with a hand held drill, and a diamond tipped core bit. the Drill cost me £29.99 from Lidl and the Bit was 10.99 with postage.
And that was 8mm glass.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 06:11 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: remove glass section
You can drill a 400 l tank. I would imagine that your glass is 10 mm thick. As Mike pointed out you will need a stand drill and a special drill bit.
However personally I would go for an overflow box since there is no risk of cracking and pane of the tank

More
30 Mar 2007 07:49 #6 by Tetra (Tetra)
cheers for the response everyone ....would it be possible to remove this middle glass section and if so how can i release the silcone hold without scraping the glass

More
30 Mar 2007 08:32 #7 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
When removing an object that is siliconed to glass, it is best done with a sharp, thin, flexible blade. This will alow you to get a cut close to the glass as the blade is flexible enough to cut parallel!

This is what I would recommend.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
30 Mar 2007 08:33 #8 by Alan86 (Alan86)
Yeah its 10 mm mate!...same as the matching one here!...it be a bit ropey taking out the middle section tho as this is the only middle support on the tank.

The money was just resting in my Account!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 08:55 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
You could but it's a serious undertaking.
Did you ever built your own tank. If yes, you could attempt it. If no, don't even think about it. You'll never get it watertight.
For the sake of it, here's how to do it. Just cust the silicon with a sharp stanely knife. Patience is a virtue and here you will need plenty. You can't rush the job. Cleaning off all the silicone is another pain in the ar*e. Getting all the silcone off the glass is another job that can drive you to clinical dementia. Once you've got all of glue you have to clean all the places were the new glue is going with acetone. And you could still end up with a leaking tank if you haven't done this before

More
30 Mar 2007 09:19 #10 by Tetra (Tetra)
how would it leak as its just a divider and plan on putting back to lattes to support it again

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 09:21 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
ups, sorry. I thought you wanted to remove one of the side panes to drill it. The divider shouldn't be a problem.

More
30 Mar 2007 09:33 #12 by Tetra (Tetra)
cheers every one for the replys all i need now is somewere that cuts and drills glass....

dont suppose any place like woodies or b+q do

oh and silicone wot is the best one to use

More
30 Mar 2007 09:38 #13 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Tetra-Tetra where abouts in Irealnd do you live? Include it in your avatar as it makes given advice very easy!

More
30 Mar 2007 09:43 #14 by Tetra (Tetra)
tallaght area will add it now :oops:

is acetone basically nail polish remover

• Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 09:52 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Can't help you with any info on the drilling but we will need to get a silicone that does not contain any fungizides. Your LFS should do it or you can order on ebay since none of the DIY stores seem to carry it even though clearseal does a product suitable for aquarium use. I haven't seen it in either Woody's, B&Q or Atlantic Homecare. You might want to check Homebase in Dublin. There's no outlet in Cork

More
30 Mar 2007 09:55 #16 by Tetra (Tetra)
just sourced the silcone on ebay there suppose will look up the yellow pages for a glass works place.

and i think acetone is just nail polish remover will have to look into that though

More
30 Mar 2007 10:16 #17 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)

just sourced the silcone on ebay there suppose will look up the yellow pages for a glass works place.

and i think acetone is just nail polish remover will have to look into that though

ebay is the cheapest place to buy aquarium silicone, third of the price as a well known LFS in dublin.

As for the acetone! You are correct, it is just nail polish remover!

or

Synonyms: Dimethylketone; 2-propanone; dimethylketal
Molecular Weight: 58.08
Chemical Formula: (CH3)2CO

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 15:46 #18 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re: remove glass section
theres a glass shop in clondalkin village [ behind lynams hardware ] u could ask them about the drilling of glass im sure if they didnt do it they could point u in the right direction .best of luck
john

More
30 Mar 2007 16:01 #19 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Ring Hennesy Glass. 014925920. They are near the KCR. Not too far from you. They will drill the glass for you. He may even have the silicone you need.

More
30 Mar 2007 17:52 #20 by Acara (Dave Walters)

just dont let this chap ring for you

s25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/airpic/?a...unnyvideos-SHARK.flv

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
22 Apr 2007 03:36 #21 by niko001 (Noel Cutajar)

how would it leak as its just a divider and plan on putting back to lattes to support it again

What I do to remove any glass panes from the silicone...I just use nylon thread used for fishing. I water it and slide it between the two glass surfaces. It will take few minutes because the nylon is heated and cuts the silicone. You might require some length of nylon.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds