Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Odd Tank Construction

More
05 Jun 2011 15:32 #1 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
Alright guys For a while now i have been looking at buying a 1000 ltr + tank but due to the space in the house Fitting it will be another thing, problem is i have Alot of room in the Conservertory But the room is a ODD Shape. Is there a way of building my Own tank to take the Curve of the Wall or i have to cut the Glass And shape it at a 45' Angle? So you Could Imagine a Large Straight Front pane of Glass and Then Also Glass at ither end Coming out at a 45 degree angle to take the wall? Would it be even worth my while trying R should i just go out and buy a normal Box Tank?

Thanks Guys Gonna need alot of head Scratching on this one!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2011 16:41 - 05 Jun 2011 16:42 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Odd Tank Construction
One main problem you will have and it's not relating to the construction is, Conservatories are nightmares for fluctuating temperatures and aren't really suitable for keeping Fish.

The temperatures can exceed 40 deg c easily and dip considerably in Winter even if there is a Rad installed.

A solution to extreme heat is to use convection to stabilise the swings, make sure there are vents in the Conservatory as low as possible and vents in the Roof to allow the super heated Air to escape thereby sucking in cooler Air from outside.

Kev.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 16:42 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
05 Jun 2011 17:04 #3 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
I Actually installed that myself there 2 years ago, And its set to keep the Tempture & Humidity to a Constant, As During the summer it was Actually Umbearable heat and in the Winter Umbearably Cold.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2011 17:47 #4 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: Odd Tank Construction
Aside the temperature, you might also want to take the light in consideration. If it's too bright, you might get a good amount of algae in your tank.
Personal experience : one of my tanks is beside a small Velux, and I've had to mask one side of that tank to stop the algae growth.

Apart from that, 1000 l. tank !!! :ohmy:
Looking forward to your documenting the project - sounds great ! :)

Valerie :)

More
05 Jun 2011 17:57 #5 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
Ill take a few pics of the room now after diner so who ever is interested can see what im Dealing with and the Angle of the wall's In Question, And a 1000 ltr is only a figure in mind Im sure it will be above Depending on the Over all Size..

Filteration
Another Question would be Filteration of the Tank its self, Would it Just Require A Very large External Filter? And if so would the Pump pumping water back into the tank have to be Uprated to Give good Circulation? Obviously ill be needing a Serious UV'S to keep the Water In " MINT " condition? or would i?

Heating
Would i Require maybe 2 or More heater Units Set around the tank in order to keep it at a Constant Temp?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2011 18:24 - 05 Jun 2011 18:26 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Odd Tank Construction
The amount of light is much more easily controlled or managed by Blinds etc, heat will be a major factor to deal with and will also reflect in electricity bills during the colder Months and especially in the event of a Power outage. The interior of a House will remain ambiant for quite a while, in a Conservatory, temps will plummet disastrously if we experience the Winter that just passed, just consider the worst case scenario and start from there.

Good idea on the Photos of the space, it'll give a better idea of what you are working with. If Blinds aren't ur idea of an aesthetic give reflective film a thought as it can be quite effective in temperature management.

I have been asked to "fit out" Conservatories with suitable Plant material on many occasions and it is a nightmare.

On a Tank of that volume I would recommend 2 heaters, one sufficient to heat the Tank by itself and one bigger than you require in the event of a fail.

Keep us posted.

Kev.

Kev.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2011 18:26 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
06 Jun 2011 15:21 #7 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
Alright i got a few pics of the Room is Question. Here you go will give you a small Idea on what im dealing with + the Angle of the wall. Please Ignore the State of the room and her selfs Turtle tank, ( my old Discus tank )

My Old Discus tank..

More
06 Jun 2011 17:43 #8 by Dan Dan (Danny Murphy)
You could build a ply wood tank.
I've no idea how to do it but it might be easier to do with those angles.

More
06 Jun 2011 21:38 #9 by siamesefighter (Andrew Watters)
It will be a hard wood base and top Inside the top will contain all the Lighting i need, the rest will be glass all around. Depending on how much water i can actually but in it before the Glass gives way Under the massive Presure Under the Over all weight of the Water..

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds