Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

A very tenuous link to Fishkeeping...

More
01 Oct 2012 23:39 #1 by JohnH (John)
This is a bit of a liberty asking this on the Forum, but hopefully someone out there can advise me on this.

While I was away from home last winter I had a second house radiator leak - unnoticed, but that's a different story.
The valves are turned off to these two and I guess I will need to buy two new radiators but had a thought (careful, John) that it should be worth a try to open them and pour in the Radweld stuff sold for leaking car radiators (can it be bought over here?). As the radiators are empty now I am tempted to buy some and give it a go, before laying out for two new radiators (not too cheap).
I wouldn't imagine that any such repair would ever be considered permanent, but if they can last even one winter it would help a great deal.

(The very tenuous link being that one of the rads is in my fishroom and winter draws on [as they say]).

Would anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2012 00:07 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic A very tenuous link to Fishkeeping...
Hi John,

In the absence of other advice, try Emailing shelob aka Bill on this Forum, he's a friend of mina and a Plumber, He'd know.

Kev.

More
02 Oct 2012 00:14 #3 by JohnH (John)
Will look into that in the morning, bit on the too tired side tonight.
Cheers Kev.
John

ITFS member.

More
02 Oct 2012 01:03 - 02 Oct 2012 01:04 #4 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
hi john,
to be honest the rad weld would only be temporary fix on a car rad and i wouldn't chance it. it works fine on a car rad for a time but i would think in comparison to a full sized rad it wouldn't be up to the mark, taking into consideration the difference in size and thickness of material. you add to that the greater volume of water, pressure and the odds of having a very harsh winter this year and it could be more costly in the long run.
i've been in houses to repair/replace rads and pipes that have burst and you would not believe the damage it can cause.

i know you'll be spending a lot of money but for piece of mind and less chance of things goin wrong i'd replace the rads. also to prevent them from freezing in the the event of a harsh winter you're better off to keep the heating on constant but at a lower temperature. (i'm guessing the cold caused the leaks).

there may be an option to do a proper weld over the leak but you would have to ask a more experienced plumber than myself.

just my 2 cents, hopefully you found it helpful.

wayne
Last edit: 02 Oct 2012 01:04 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn).

More
02 Oct 2012 09:16 #5 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Hi John,

Were the leaks in the radiators on the actual radiator surface or the pipe joints? if it was the surface, the only option is to replace I am afraid :( the radiator weld is available here in most motor factors but is only a temporary solution. The problem is rust in the radiators and the chances of another leak are very high.
I am not a plumber but have helped out plenty of people with this problem, in some cases I have seen, its only the paint that is keeping the radiator together :ohmy:
Best option is to replace the leaking radiators and put some rust inhibitor into the system. You can get the rust inhibitor in any plumbing suppliers; it comes with a large syringe to inject it into a radiator. So before filling the new radiators, simply remove the bleed valve from one of them and add the rust inhibitor through the bleed valve, of course you need to remember to replace the bleed valve afterwards :)

Cheers,

Bill.

More
02 Oct 2012 09:17 - 02 Oct 2012 09:19 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
wouldn't bother with radweld myself tbh, i had more luck cracking a half dozen eggs into a rad than i did with that stuff :lol:

where abouts are they leaking? not at the valves or is the rad burst?

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 02 Oct 2012 09:19 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
02 Oct 2012 10:34 #7 by JohnH (John)
Thanks for the replies lads, I knew I wouldn't be let down.

I think, in the light of the responses, that I will have to 'bite the bullet' and a trip to Woody's is on the cards (I get 10% discount there with AXA insurance card).

The leak on both rads is minimal and appears below the input union of the rad. A bit vague in description, but on the radiator casting there is a sort of round bit somewhat lower than the rest of it but that could be because that's the lowest part and any drips will congregate there first (hope I'm making some sort of sense).

Although last winter was cold, we didn't really (I'm assured) have too much in the way of lengthy freeze-ups so I hope the leaking rads weren't as a result of that.
I do suspect that the builders didn't use what you might exactly call 'top quality' components here either.

I'll get the two offending rads off and see if I can locate the source of the leaks and probably will replace them just to be on the safe side (and add the rust inhibitor too).

Hey ho, the joys of home ownership eh?

Thanks again,

John

ITFS member.

More
02 Oct 2012 11:06 #8 by BillG (Bill Gray)
John,

don’t go near woodies for reds, they will rob you blind! Get to a plumbers merchants or good builders providers, should be one near enough to you. I am not kidding; it will be a lot cheaper, even with the discount.
I replaced a rad for a friend a few weeks ago, woodies and B&Q were over €120, got the same rad in a place in Maynooth for a little less than €70.

Cheers,

Bill.

More
02 Oct 2012 11:56 #9 by john gannon (John Gannon)
John you can get an internal leak sealant for heating systems ,just google internal leak sealant or any decent plumb supply shop like heat merchants ,

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds