Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

water and yeast CO2 mixture,video

More
04 Oct 2012 12:23 #1 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2012 12:32 #2 by JohnH (John)
Is that your own video? - Very enterprising and thanks for posting it.
Might it be possible to make the audio a little clearer, or overdub it with a new commentary?
(As you can tell, I'm not exactly au fait with youtube and its mysteries).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Oct 2012 12:37 #3 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Yes it's my own video,I done it primarily for the forum tbh so if there was any questions on it I could answer the here, it's so handy to do with the smart phone it's scarey!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
04 Oct 2012 13:00 #4 by JohnH (John)
Well done, many others (myself included) should follow your example and post some instructive videos for the Forum.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Oct 2012 13:11 #5 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers john glad you like the idea.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
04 Oct 2012 23:28 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Great vid thanks for posting, i always wondered how it was done
Do you get good results what do you use to get it into the tank plastic bottle, bubble ladder?

Mark

More
05 Oct 2012 05:57 - 05 Oct 2012 05:59 #7 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Have to say I get great results with this,I done this video to go with the other one but I had some editing issues,just in case anyone has trouble hearing what is being said cause the audio isn't great the mixture I'm using is 2 and 3/4 cups of sugar to 7 grams of yeast,make your sugar and water mixture with tepid water first and your yeast and water with slightly warmer water, when you pour your yeast on to your sugar and water mixture it should settle on top because of the temperature difference,as it equalises you get a slow and steady reaction which lasts quite a long timearound 2 to 3 weeks

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN
Last edit: 05 Oct 2012 05:59 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan).

More
05 Oct 2012 07:22 #8 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Great idea making your own video for the site. Fair play to you for going to the trouble.

LoB

More
05 Oct 2012 07:41 #9 by theangryman (chris)
Thanks for the vid, looks a good idea, will give it a go the next time I`m home, keep the vids coming :)
Have you been using it long? have you had any problems with it? has it made much of a change to the plant growth in your tank?

Sorry for all the questions just interested :laugh:

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...

More
05 Oct 2012 08:25 #10 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
At the start I had some seal issues,this one is the second one I've done,I found that tech7 works the best as a seal because its slightly flexible when it cures,and you need to use very little, I get quite w good growth rate from my plants, mostly broad leaf stuff like swords also giant vallis,I get around two shoots coming up every 3 to 4 weeks. Also its important to remember that if your going to make a DIY set up you should use bottles that are designed to hold pressure,fizzy drink bottles, the other thing to remember is that if you open a bottle of fizzy drinks and leave it in the fridge that it goes flat, I'm nearly sure that there designed to do that so you go and buy more,bearing this in mind I use ptfe tape to keep the seal sound after a fresh mixture

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
23 Oct 2012 11:07 - 23 Oct 2012 11:12 #11 by CaptainSlow (Martin)
@ anglecichlid
I was going to post similar thread when I found yours.

What you have shown here is very good cheap solution to keep your plants healthy.

I've been using this for years, until I brought to Ireland proper co2 bottle

Some smart people did lot of tests with yeasts, sugar and water, and they found out a system that works very well
it is called

"1410"

1 litre of water
400grams of sugar
10grams of yeasts.

You are using dried yeasts, but I recommend using fresh yeasts.
They can be found in every Polish shop in Ireland they are called "drozdze", Fresh yeasts "1410" produce more co2 and last for at least 3 weeks.

As you can see on the picture attached - one elastic tube is going from the mixture bootle to the bottom of 2nd bottle which is filled with clear water. 2nd elastic tube is going from the top of bootle with clear water to the aquarium.

tip
drill a hole in a bottle cap ( 1 in 1st, 2 in 2nd) 1mm smaller than tube diameter. put tube in and superglue it.

!! Warning !!
!! be careful !!

when mixture stop producing co2, or if by accident you shake bottle too much you can poison fish in your aquarium

to prevent this use small safety valve like this one below to prevent mixture suction ( connected between 2nd bottle and aquarium)

total cost
400g of sugar - 50 cents
100 gram of yeasts ( smallest available pack ) ~50 cent.

This set is for tanks up to 50 litres I'd say.
If you have bigger tank add more yeasts. but don't add all at one time.
wait for 12h and if you want more co2 bubbles, add more. ( it takes about 12h to have set fully working)
Last edit: 23 Oct 2012 11:12 by CaptainSlow (Martin).

More
23 Oct 2012 11:54 #12 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers captainslow, to be honest I searched high and low for live yeast and the only place I got some was superquinn,
Over the counter at the bakery section,
But I have to say the fast action stuff is doing the biz at the minute,
But it's good to know where to get it again if I need it,
The other thing is with the fast action stuff you don't have to wait for 12 hours!
It starts producing almost immediately,
Plus with the way I have it mixed in the video its still producing,
That's over 3 weeks now!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
23 Oct 2012 12:10 #13 by CaptainSlow (Martin)

Cheers captainslow, to be honest I searched high and low for live yeast and the only place I got some was superquinn,
Over the counter at the bakery section,
But I have to say the fast action stuff is doing the biz at the minute,
But it's good to know where to get it again if I need it,
The other thing is with the fast action stuff you don't have to wait for 12 hours!
It starts producing almost immediately,
Plus with the way I have it mixed in the video its still producing,
That's over 3 weeks now!

Sorry it is my poor English - mixture start working instantly, but it gets proper full "power" after 12h.
You can get drozdze in a fridge section in these Polish shops. It look like a small butter - you need to cut it into small tiny pieces before adding to the bottle.

Just a quick note on disadvantage of this system - it works during the night as well, and as there is no light plants are not producing oxygen, and level of co2 is increasing in aquarium, what doesn't suit fish.
So to improve system you can also insert small valve into the tube and open it for the night time to let co2 go out to the room, not aquarium.

More
24 Feb 2013 21:33 #14 by cherepaha (kris)
where did you this small valves ( bulkheads ) that are attached to the bottle caps?
i run diy co2 in my fishtank. co2 tube is attched to filter outflow in the place of airtube, air valve is being installed on the tube and im opening it for night so instead of co2 - o2 is being difused by filter.

More
27 Feb 2013 22:25 #15 by ck1 (chris)
do you get good results using this.can you compare it to easy carbo.i m thinking of getting the jbl bio 180

More
27 Feb 2013 22:37 #16 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I use a combination of both,
The mixture can last between 2 or 3 weeks,
I can honestly say the diy CO2 has a huge effect on the plants
As mentioned above you can poison your fish
But it's never happened to me
Its great for lowering ph also and it does it quite slowly!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
27 Feb 2013 23:02 #17 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i add a little molasses as well. it's supposed to give the yeast a little more nourishment.

and according to tina turner, along with salt pork it's all you get in jail in Nutbush City Limits :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
27 Feb 2013 23:58 #18 by joey (joe watson)
and for any homebrewers out there, use juice in big fermenting buckets! although 400g per litre will give quite a strong "brew", bread yeasts die at 4% alcohol (approx) but it is possible to get a "turbo yeast" that brews to 21% alcohol and quickly - would be perfect for your set-ups and is available at "thehomebrewcompany.ie"
also maltodextrine and brew/beer enhancers, and yeast suppliments will help the brew. even if you don't drink the results this will all help your co2 production as more alcohol = more co2 by-product.

as for dried and fresh yeast - all you do is sprinkle dried yeast on the surface, let it soak for 10 mins then stir in. and any left over sludge in the bottom (leave brew to settle) can be re-used up to around 5 times as a starter for your next brew (co2) meaning less yeast need be added at the start. also i'd suggest having a couple of these on the go at once as fermentation can take a few days to start for the yeast to become active and reproduce - but bread yeast is defo not suitable to an extent there is too much sugar the bread yeast will die off at a certain alcohol level and there will be alot of sugar unfermented

hope this helps

More
28 Feb 2013 22:05 #19 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
thanks for that tip. makes alot of sense!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Mar 2013 14:57 #20 by des (des)

cool Vid & thread...
thanks for sharing

Des

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds