Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Beautiful foam background

More
03 Nov 2012 00:10 #1 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
Please tell me where i and get all the gear to reproduce this exactly!
Im gonna do a malawi cichlid setup and i think this would be perfect :crazy:

www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0902.php

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2012 12:28 #2 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
its basically made from styrofoam/aeroboard siliconed together and carved. covered in a few layers of cement, some people add different colour cement dyes to achieve the right effect. if dyes are used then it will have to be sealed with some kind of epoxy or pond sealer.
if dyes aren't used it doesn't need to be sealed just needs to be soaked until the cement finishes releasing toxins.
there are loads of threads online about diy aquarium backgrounds and a bit of research is very very helpful.
hope this goes well for you and if you decide to make one please start a thread to document how you did it, from start to finish.

good luck mate, wayne

More
03 Nov 2012 18:23 - 03 Nov 2012 18:44 #3 by pit (Piotr Urbanski)
Last edit: 03 Nov 2012 18:44 by pit (Piotr Urbanski).

More
03 Nov 2012 18:46 #4 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
that 2nd link is class, good find pit. i'd say that took ages to do!!!

More
03 Nov 2012 19:52 #5 by pit (Piotr Urbanski)

More
03 Nov 2012 20:56 #6 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
that's a shame, be nice to see a diy one done to that standard!!!!

More
03 Nov 2012 21:55 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
based on the same method but more of a walk through this is.

www.lizard-landscapes.com/how-to-build-a-waterfall.html

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
04 Nov 2012 10:13 #8 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
jesus that guy in the very first link does a 30% water change weekly.on a 650l tank thats close to a 200L change.He must have alot of time on his hands.

stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
04 Nov 2012 20:38 #9 by m4r10 (m4r10)

jesus that guy in the very first link does a 30% water change weekly.on a 650l tank thats close to a 200L change.He must have alot of time on his hands.

stuart.

I'd say it's not taking him more than an hour to do the w/c. It takes me more time (about 2 hours) to do it on 2 smaller tanks because I have to check for shrimps that get sucked in, but when I refill the tanks, it takes about 20 min to pump back around 220L.

More
04 Nov 2012 21:33 #10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Some very nice background there

If you ask me you can not beat a nice DIY background i love them and i always have something i also wanted to try do but i never got the time to do it so i got someone to make one for me for my old vision 260 wasnt big like in the first link but was a nice one all the same.

Would be good to give it ago id say it would work out very well,

As for water changes depends what wat he has it setup on my tank i pump a pump in turn it on go back when im at my level i want to stop and remove it out the pump into my wheelie bin with my fresh salt water ready and pump back into the tank no work to it really and only takes about 20 minutes start to finish.

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
04 Nov 2012 22:30 #11 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
I'm not that organised lol.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds