Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best paint for background glass :)

More
13 Dec 2012 17:36 - 13 Dec 2012 17:39 #1 by Orlando (Radek)
Hi
I decide to paint back glass and sides from my fish tank. Is there any paint what you would recommend it? Also I was wondering do I shall use it roller or small brush. I went today to the shop, seller recommend me Rust-Oleum black matt paint www.langbridge.co.uk/productDetail.asp?P...0563&categoryID=9849
and kind of foam brush (www.swissinno.com/en/paint-brushes/class...ush/description.html)
Any advices? Maybe someone already use it rust oleum paint? To not confuse anyone I will be painting my fish tank from outside (-:

Thank you for all help

Radek
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 17:39 by Orlando (Radek).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2012 18:38 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)

More
13 Dec 2012 18:58 #3 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
Acrylic. Goes on smooth with a sponge roller and comes off clean with a razor blade SOOOO easily if you want to change colour down the line.

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
13 Dec 2012 19:27 - 13 Dec 2012 19:29 #4 by Orlando (Radek)
Davey_c I seen this topic - Thank you, just I was wondering do someone already use Rustoleum paint (I was told is acrylic as well but doesn't say on the box). Aquaman thank you for help :)
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 19:29 by Orlando (Radek).

More
13 Dec 2012 19:44 - 13 Dec 2012 19:45 #5 by jwm (sean sean)
I have painted a tank with acrylic paint was ok. I got some black carbon wrap off another site and used it on another tank and i think its much better. Cheaper option aswell (depending on the size of your tank).

John

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 19:45 by jwm (sean sean).

More
13 Dec 2012 21:18 #6 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
Hi ,
I'm a painter by trade , I used black weathershield satinwood by dulux,
It's water based so low odur , 1 coat per day for best results , 3 coats , I applied it to my 450
Litre tank came out really well , i put it on wit a 4 inch mohair roller all DIY shops have them

More
13 Dec 2012 23:50 #7 by Orlando (Radek)
Nice. Thank you for all advices. I hope I'll paint my tank on monday.
Cheeers

More
16 Dec 2012 23:06 #8 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
Take some step by step pics or even a video and stick it up :cool:

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
18 Dec 2012 16:37 #9 by Orlando (Radek)
I took few pictures, will upload it them after work. Didn't have time to make step by step pictures because I finish at 4 on the morning :D ...Christmas time :)

More
19 Dec 2012 16:54 #10 by Orlando (Radek)
Ok so here are few pictures from my painting job - it’s not tip top… but makes tank looks different.
In my opinion fish tank looks emptier now, probably I will throw few extra rocks (-:
Cheers.

More
19 Dec 2012 17:10 #11 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
That looks very nice, can't go wrong with black!

What paint did you decide on?

I have been using acrylic but might consider the Dulux paint after reading this.

Melander

More
19 Dec 2012 17:23 - 19 Dec 2012 17:24 #12 by Orlando (Radek)
Thank you Melander. The plan was to use Dulux paint recommends it by Debrick but I forgot I need to stay longer in work over weekend because we have kind of Christmas hours. After my work Woodies was closed and I got only Monday to paint my tank, so I went to Blessington. They didn’t have Dulux paint so I took Rust-Oleum is water based also. Does the job have to say just Im not the best painter ;)
Last edit: 19 Dec 2012 17:24 by Orlando (Radek).

More
19 Dec 2012 18:21 #13 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Cool, the result would probably be very similar comparing the three. I might just try Dulux the next time as it seems to be the cheaper option.

Melander

More
19 Dec 2012 21:04 #14 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hi Radek, the tank is looking excellent fair play for going with the black it makes a huge difference and the fish are looking amazing too well done

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
19 Dec 2012 22:45 #15 by phily (phil sinclair)
Yeah fair play man, looks great, I'm going to be getting a bigger tank in the new year and I'm trying to decide if ill go for a 3d backround or get black sticky backround or just paint the back round, decisions decisions !!

More
21 Dec 2012 00:49 #16 by Orlando (Radek)
Thank you lads.
Philly if I would have it bigger tank I will try with 3d background. In my 180l probably background would take lots of space otherwise I would go for it. Hope this is not my last tank :)

More
21 Dec 2012 20:16 #17 by phily (phil sinclair)
Yeah I was thinking that Orlando but I dont want to loose any space, I know I can get a quite flat one but as I've said in a previous post I'm just so indecisive lol I'm not gettin a new tank till the new year so gives me some time to think of what I want to do :whistle: :crazy:

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds