Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fluidized air powered filters

More
04 Feb 2013 22:25 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i'm going to start experimenting with a DIY fluidized media filter, air powered, with either K1 Kaldnes fluidized media or a homemade media. I'd be really interested to hear anyone's opinions/experiences about this, esp pertaining to the effectiveness as a biofilter and how cost effective they are

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2013 22:28 #2 by JohnH (John)
I think IGM would be the best man to respond to this, he has done a lot of work with filtration.

Doubtless he'll be along shortly, this is right up his street.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Feb 2013 22:41 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Jumping from Facebook talking about my favourite subject (chocolate) to answer a pm here.....I see this. :)

I am not familiar with that media, so cannot comment on the use of it. Maybe I should google it.

The main thing that I always found tricky with home-made experimental filtration is more of the mechanics that hold together without flooding the place (eg having cycling Sohxlet wet-n-dry filtration where the influx was faster than the output tubes could cope with.....but that is the fun).

In the early days, experimenting with reverse flow air-driven undergravel filtration had loads of teething problems of air getting under the filter plate and slowly raising it. But....trial and error....and got it right and very effective eventually.

Air-driven fluidised filters are a goer. So....go for it.

I'm not going to draw diagrams here, but I recon you can easily come up with something viable.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
04 Feb 2013 22:47 #4 by JohnH (John)
K2 is pretty good media - I have used it in secondary trickle filters and am well satisfied with it. (Note to myself - must get more).

John

ITFS member.

More
04 Feb 2013 22:57 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
"The main thing that I always found tricky with home-made experimental filtration is more of the mechanics that hold together without flooding the place (eg having cycling Sohxlet wet-n-dry filtration where the influx was faster than the output tubes could cope with.....but that is the fun)"

Not sure if that's what my wife would call flooding... fun :P

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
04 Feb 2013 22:58 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
any idea where i could get k1 filter media?

More
04 Feb 2013 23:02 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
if your in no rush i will be in Dublin again in a few weeks (damn work gets in the way of fishkeeping) and i can bring you some, what size of fluidized filter are you thinking of

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
04 Feb 2013 23:03 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I'll let JohnH say more on the media.

As for flooding when making experimental filters.....it made little difference in the early days as even many of the bought external power filters would quite often flood your room (especially some early hang-on external power filters).

More
04 Feb 2013 23:04 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

More
04 Feb 2013 23:37 #10 by davey_c (dave clarke)
brian on here uses k1 fluidized as i'd say so do a small few others. they are prity good at their main purpose.
k1 is good but there is a new version out with 40% (i think) more surface area if you want to look for it on ebay because thats where i seen it.
i know 1 other bloke who uses it in a compartment of his sump but don't think he's on here. when i was considering filter options for my big build i was gonna use a 25L drum to fluidize k1 but unfortunately it never materialized (or fluidized :lol: )

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
05 Feb 2013 18:28 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks sheag35. That'd be great! I'm definitely in no rush. You know how it is in fish keeping... a mix of eagerness and patience :angel:
I was thinking of 1 1/2 to 2 litres in a setup very similar to yours

More
05 Feb 2013 18:46 #12 by JohnH (John)

"...i was gonna use a 25L drum to fluidize k1 but unfortunately it never materialized (or fluidized :lol: )"

Very good.

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Feb 2013 18:57 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Is it just me or did anyone else imagine a drumroll and a clash of cymbals when he said that? :woohoo:

More
05 Feb 2013 23:03 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ok great pm me your mobile and i'll give you a call when i'm heading up. i have only about 1/2 ltr to spare but with the system in the one i made in the link above it was only about a 1/4 ltr in it, dont pack them too much as they need to move freely.

More
06 Feb 2013 10:22 #15 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
with the 2 liters, i might be thinking of the volume of the filter, not the media so 1/2 a liter might be enough. again, thanks :)

More
06 Feb 2013 11:21 #16 by JohnH (John)

Is it just me or did anyone else imagine a drumroll and a clash of cymbals when he said that? :woohoo:

Drum roll and cymbal clash...

Very good.

ITFS member.

More
09 Feb 2013 14:19 #17 by brian (Brian)
flic.kr/p/brVaNt
flic.kr/s/aHsjzxm3V4
couple of pics of my filter,1000 liters of mechanical and static media (hundreds of pot scrubbers).then 1000 liter plastic tank with bout 400 liters of fluidised k1.the fluidised k1 and biocell needs no maintenance,i made a plastic pipe airstone with hundreds of 1/16 holes drilled in it so it never clogs.the fluidised k1 seems to work great,but can take a fairly long time to mature,puttin fresh k1 in a bucket with some sharp sand and shaking a while will roughen the media and bacteria should colonise quicker.my k1 is fed from 4" dia homemade airlifts,but intrduced as part of a sump or easy made diy filter u should have little problems ,i,m very happy with mine.50 liters of media should deal with 1 pound of feed a day.often i have often fed over 3-4 ibs of feed to fish in one sittin without any water parameter problems later.only prob is the maturation rate,but if introduced with other working mature filter and slowly phasing ont old filter or aquiring mature media ,there should b no bother

More
09 Feb 2013 14:28 #18 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
That's a nice completed project Brian.

More
09 Feb 2013 14:39 #19 by JohnH (John)
Great suggestion, Brian, to use sand to roughen the plastic media, I've been puzzling over this problem for ages.
Will give that a try over the weekend.
Thanks for passing that on.
John
ps, like Ian says,nice filter project.

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds