Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

t5 ballast

More
08 Feb 2013 20:47 - 08 Feb 2013 21:40 #1 by ck1 (chris)
t5 ballast was created by ck1 (chris)
Just brought one of these online, if anyone is looking to add lights or repair a unit this is a bargin

PM CK for further details

Edit,
Links to non-sponsors are against Forum policy, but PMs aren't.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 21:40 by JohnH (John). Reason: Removed ebay link

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2013 22:54 #2 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic t5 ballast
may i ask why is there an ebay link option if you cant link ebay items i taught the rules were you couldnt link a non sponser shop.this is a used item on ebay

More
08 Feb 2013 23:17 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic t5 ballast
Yes,
I wondered that myself, that link must have appeared when the Forum server got updated.

Still, there's no real harm done as anyone can send you a PM if they're interested in finding out about the items and then you can let them have the information.

The problem - as I see it - is that if some ebay links are allowed while others are not it will likely cause a good deal of confusion and so it must surely be best to keep them 100% the same.

I know this has been said before, but the Sponsors here have stuck by us through the good times so now we ought to reciprocate and do the same for them in the less-than-good times.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Mar 2013 21:04 #4 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic t5 ballast
i recently had to buy a new ballast for mine....

went into a standard electrician lighting wholesalers and got a t5 55w x 2 ballast for 20 euro...had been on line and the lowest i could find was 70 euro plus vat from a major electronic wholesaler in dublin

sometimes you can get fantastic local deals if ya shop around

More
31 Mar 2013 21:55 #5 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
I had looked up at repairing mine also, I had looked at buying it on ebay and that, and as you say
it was about 40-60euro online & also the time involved in doing it
and potenally the item not lasting that long because of water getting in
just bought a new one off aquatic village, think it was 125 all in( i had got the new model t5 lighting unit) I had the old one

More
31 Mar 2013 22:10 #6 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic t5 ballast
the ballast that i posted was only 5euro and 5euro postage so it would have being a big saving on the 125euro you spent

More
13 May 2013 19:38 #7 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
yea it would have been but how long would it of lasted until it leaked water in,
I had also got the newer t5 ballast & bulbs, so I gained an extra 20w of light also
I'll keep it in mind though

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds