Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fish room

More
27 May 2013 18:29 #1 by joe10 (joe nolan)
fish room was created by joe10 (joe nolan)
hi all a question to anybody that has a fish house,is it more cost effective to heat the tanks individually or to heat the fish room? as im at the planing stage at the moument.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2013 20:44 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Not sure on the heat the tanks or the water but I would suggest insulating the walls and ceiling for a start.

More
28 May 2013 07:00 #3 by joe10 (joe nolan)
Replied by joe10 (joe nolan) on topic fish room
i am planning to insulate all the walls and ceiling with rock wool but if i have 20 2ft tanks running with heaters im sure it will cost a fortune,would it be more sensible to heat the room? would a small heater running on a timer cost the same as 20 aquarium heaters....

More
28 May 2013 07:30 #4 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
Replied by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy) on topic fish room
The only problem i would see with heating the fish house rather than the individual tanks , is that different species will obviously do better at different water temperatures , which is going to be virtually impossible to control without individual heaters in each tank

Martin

More
29 May 2013 06:59 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic fish room
20 tanks will have a large total surface area to lose heat from unlike one very large tank of 2000L, im guessing one small heater in the room wont keep the tanks warm enough, mayb u can insulate each tank with say 2inch wall insulation.another idea is to run one tank say 400L with heaters and pump this water around your fish tanks.

More
29 May 2013 07:13 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic fish room
from my experience i started a tank about 3 months back with total water volumn of 1500L including sump, i have 3 300w heaters running, it took about 5 days for the water to heat up to 25deg at start up but once there i hardly ever see the heaters on now.if i was setting up a tank room id run 100w heaters in each tank and super insulate the room.rock wool is only for attics. better to use wall insulation on the walls. there are 2 types of insulation, one to keep heat in like rock wool and the other to keep cold out like wall and floor insulation. hope this helps u decide.

More
29 May 2013 19:17 #7 by joe10 (joe nolan)
Replied by joe10 (joe nolan) on topic fish room
thanks guys for the advice, plenty off insulation seams to be the way forward

More
29 May 2013 21:44 #8 by blade (Michael G)
Replied by blade (Michael G) on topic fish room

i am planning to insulate all the walls and ceiling with rock wool

Hi Joe ,
use polyiso (kingspan , extratherm , quinntherm etcc..) instead of rockwool it has problem if not aerated correctly sweating , mildew etc... especially in roof spaces between rafters ,polyiso has much better thermal resistance also ,25mm board would be same as 50mm rockwool

pm me i can help you with this

Michael

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds