Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

ADA style DIY cabinet

More
30 Jul 2013 18:21 #1 by PabloGalway (Pawel Stiburski)
what we need

trip to B&Q and buy 18mm MDF cut to size,
some screws, paint, sandpaper, hinges, etc

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Original cabinet and tank

File Attachment:

My cabinet and tank

File Attachment:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2013 18:32 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic ADA style DIY cabinet
That's a very good build and an excellent series of pictures to illustrate your project.

Thanks very much for posting this - hopefully it might stir more of us into 'action'.

Well done.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
30 Jul 2013 20:29 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
That is... very... cool!

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
31 Jul 2013 09:55 #4 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
top class job right there

More
31 Jul 2013 10:57 #5 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Beautiful job well done.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
31 Jul 2013 23:30 #6 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
superb Job PabloGalway, really impressed at your handy work.... you could get a few offers for that or for other sizes if all you work is that good

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 Aug 2013 15:49 #7 by PabloGalway (Pawel Stiburski)
Thanks all.

If anyone is interested DIY, here is a link to all dimensions.

www.aquaplantedtank.com/ada/ada_stand.pdf

Pawel.

More
05 Aug 2013 16:22 #8 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Really great job and wish I was talented enough to do this type of thing...my other half takes a big gasp when she sees me with a screwdriver let alone drills, saws and the like :laugh:

More
05 Aug 2013 16:53 #9 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Looks good, lovely job, well done ;)

More
05 Aug 2013 21:29 #10 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
FAbtastic looking cabinet and well done. Going to see how much a sheet will cost tomorrow :-)

Some questions

What type of screws needed and assume you sealed them or is that just covering the holes and what with
Do you use sump or external as assume holes in back for that
What type of paint as pics show different colours and finishes before final black
Would it be strong enough with no or only half size back to make external pipe work easier to manage

Cheers

More
06 Aug 2013 09:52 #11 by PabloGalway (Pawel Stiburski)
Screws like this, only 5x50mm.I put screws every 10-15cm.

www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/5-x-60mm-Wood...1.5.0.0#.UgC25cnxLIU

To fill holes I use this

www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Polycell-Poly.../1.10.1#.UgC4KMnxLIU

The first two cabinets is painted with this

www.restowarehouse.co.uk/high-gloss-for-wood--metal-2566-p.asp

but drying time should be 3-5 hours, in my case, it was three days! Maybe Dulux paints work better.

Last one cabinet I paint outside with this

www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Rustoleum-Pai.../1.1.11#.UgC4rcnxLIU

and inside, only I buy small can

www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Crown-25-Litr...5/1.1.5#.UgC6_MnxLIU

I use external filter, so back holes its perfect for me.

In my case the cabinet is 60cm in length, and back sheet they give full stiffness. I tested my cabinets for 150 kg( myself and two sons) :). This is almost 3 times weight of tank, and there were no cracks.

If you want remove half back, I think you need give any extra suport.
Do not forget test cabinet before you fill tank with water.

Cost 18mm MDF sheet in B&Q is about 20-25E included cut for size.

Good luck with DIY.

If I made some mistakes, sorry for my English ;)

Pawel.

More
06 Aug 2013 10:00 #12 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Excellent work, it looks really professional and the build is well documented too.

Thanks for sharing this!

Andreas

More
06 Aug 2013 10:14 #13 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Awesome job Pawel it turned out very well and with a great set of pic's

Cheers

Mark

More
06 Aug 2013 10:15 #14 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Good job on the cabinate B)

@sincgar... what size is the tank? The half back is where the strenght will be which can be increased in measurement depending on the weight it has to carry.. it may also need a centre leg to compensate for a small back but thats not always necessary. The cabinate I done was for a ~320L tank, with the half back I put in I realy didn't need the strut but put it in anyways along with a fron to back brace. Use good glue like evo-stick and screws for assembling the cabinate and your already increasing the rigidity and strenght ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
06 Aug 2013 11:11 #15 by PabloGalway (Pawel Stiburski)
On this pdf www.aquaplantedtank.com/ada/ada_stand.pdf all cabinets included 90cm and above have inside frame and center reinforcement.

More
06 Aug 2013 12:02 #16 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
its a fluval roma 90 which is 2 foot. I was going to replace the existing cabinet which has two 8" doors so i could have the option of a sump. at the moment i run a cristal profi e900 as it is the only filter that actually fits in the door B)

More
06 Aug 2013 12:16 #17 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Wouldn't take much to hold that tank tbh... being 35cm deep all 4 sides are close together so its a handy 1 for ye ;) ... ye won't need much of a back to suport 90L so no mater what ye put in to keep the base flat across is really all ye need B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
06 Aug 2013 12:21 #18 by davey_c (dave clarke)

On this pdf www.aquaplantedtank.com/ada/ada_stand.pdf all cabinets included 90cm and above have inside frame and center reinforcement.

Would you know what wood they construct their stands from? Very few will match mdf for strenght so already you have built a better stand than the would sell ye imo B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
06 Aug 2013 13:00 #19 by PabloGalway (Pawel Stiburski)
One of our sponsors have Do!aqua Wood Cabinet www.aquaworld.ie/135,690,doaqua-wood-cabinet-60x30x70cm and in description is "Made from Solid Wood". But in other shops online usually its made from MDF.

More
06 Aug 2013 13:05 #20 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
excellent work :)

More
07 Aug 2013 08:33 #21 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
thanks for all the answers and one last :silly: question

did you predrill the screw holes or just go for it

and

did you you a square/clamp :pinch: to get all the sides correct

More
07 Aug 2013 08:52 #22 by davey_c (dave clarke)
My advice would be predrill and countersink if you can... if you ever screw through the face of mdf you'll know why ;) no harm dipping the screw into glue too before ye screw it in but not necessary.

Get your panels cut square and ye won't need a square... clamps won't be necessary because the screws will pull and hold it tight,

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
07 Aug 2013 09:25 #23 by PabloGalway (Pawel Stiburski)

thanks for all the answers and one last :silly: question

did you predrill the screw holes or just go for it

and

did you you a square/clamp :pinch: to get all the sides correct

Yes I predrill all holes, after this use countersink and filler. At the end there will be no sign any screws.

Guys from B&Q cut for me perfect square and perfect dimensions accurate to the millimeter.

Like said "davey_c", you do not need any clamps. It's easier as Lego ;)

All construction work inc. mark position all holes, drilling, assembly and filler take me about 1,5h.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds