Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Foam rock help

More
20 Oct 2013 21:59 #1 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Guys, I've been thinking of constructing foam rock for my Malawi Cichlid tank.
The main reason being, I have a lot of rock in my tank and I've recently been thinking that if a rock was to shift or fall, not only could my tank/fish be destroyed but also my living room.
Has anybody any experience of doing such ?
Any info welcome.
Paddy

Tallaght, Dublin 24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2013 05:37 #2 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
I have made a few Rock backgrounds. Some good, and looking back, some crap ones.
They are not hard to make, a few members have made them.
Basically all you do in carve shapes from the styrofoam, paint at least 3 layers on them with Liquid Cement.
You can add acrylic paints to colour or add shadows and highlights.
When dry, they do have to be left for a month to cure, then soaked to leech out the nasties, or coated with G4 pond paint.
They float, so loads of silicone to hold them in place.
Google DIY aquarium Background for loads of links.

More
21 Oct 2013 08:11 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
21 Oct 2013 16:58 #4 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Thanks Crusty and Sheag.
I spent half the night googling last night and found loads of links to backgrounds.
I suppose I just rather hear of experiences closer to home!

Thanks again.

Ps Sheag, great job on the background.

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
31 Oct 2013 19:25 #5 by Mr B (C B)
Replied by Mr B (C B) on topic Foam rock help
There's a good demo on the 'Smooth On' site on how to build live rock and there's a company in cork that sells their products. There's also a 'coral reef insert build no.2' on you tube that's quite good.

More
31 Oct 2013 20:57 #6 by Mr B (C B)
This is a question I'm afraid so no help whatsoever! I've noticed someone using eggcrate in one of the marine articles on creating a background. I've been looking out for plastic grids, flexible and rigid, to construct a reef insert which would include small rocks for ballast which would counter foam buoyancy but everything I find in the hardware store has wire in it. Does anyone know where you can get 'eggcrate'?

More
31 Oct 2013 21:39 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
For the eggcrate, try B&Q, Atlantic Homecare,etc, it is in the lighting section. it is used in suspended ceilings so ask for" light diffuser panels"
It does help to have a photo on your phone, as chances are the guy is not a fish keeper.
Mesh for Shrimp pots works well as does Oyster Bag Plastic Sheeting.
The Photo gives an idea of how it looks. It comes with different sizes of mesh. Find on the sea-shore for free.

Attachments:

More
01 Nov 2013 12:46 #8 by Mr B (C B)
Thanks Crusty Crab

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds