Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

DIY Transport Containers

More
27 Oct 2013 13:06 #1 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Keeping fish in good condition on the way home on trips over an hour, always required stops to refresh the water, and my last collecting trip was with Joukeder in West Cork, which meant a 5 hour trip with fish. So this is what I came up with, using bits that I had laying about.

Photo 1
Shows Lid and bits and pieces needed.
3 x Old Rubber Suckers
1 x T piece Airline Connecter
1 x Straight Airline Connecter
I x Airstone
2 x Airline 1x 4 cm. 1 x 15cm
Photo also shows
2 x Drilled holes in the lid
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2013 13:08 #2 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Photo 2
Shows Pieces for Air In
Photo 3
Shows Pieces for Air Out
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2013 13:09 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Push Connecters through holes (Photo 4)
Add Airline to connecters,
Short length to T Piece.
Long length to Straight connecter
Attachments:

More
27 Oct 2013 13:11 - 27 Oct 2013 13:21 #4 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Photo 6
Seal with Rubber Suckers with centers drilled out
Straight Connecter has 2, 1 on Each Side
T Piece needs only 1 Sucker

Photo 7
Add piece of led to hold Airstone in water
A "Live" Sponge Filter can be used for longer trips, Kept mature in, or on the inlet of an External Filter
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 13:21 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph).

More
27 Oct 2013 13:16 - 27 Oct 2013 13:23 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Photo 8
Poly-Box with 2 x Transport Boxes in place

Airline will connect to an Eheim airpump, run from the car cigarette lighter socket, via an 12v to 220v inverter

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 13:23 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph).

More
27 Oct 2013 14:15 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
Very tide job, ive done similar myself only only used a strong plastic bag and a small car pump compressor bought in aldi.

More
27 Oct 2013 23:54 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
you came to west cork and never called !!!

More
28 Oct 2013 00:16 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
will the heat of the car keep the water warm great idea

Something fishie going on here

More
28 Oct 2013 09:13 #9 by paulv (paul vickers)
If your transporting very temperature sensitive fish you can buy a small car kettle for making 1 cup tea and adjust water temp with that. Vast majority of fish will be ok even at 10degs.

More
28 Oct 2013 10:28 #10 by JohnH (John)

If your transporting very temperature sensitive fish you can buy a small car kettle for making 1 cup tea and adjust water temp with that. Vast majority of fish will be ok even at 10degs.

You're right Paul, I have brought fish back from England in the car lots of times without any heat other than the ambient temperature within the car and not lost any due to temperature issues. I did once lose almost everything because the fish I collected on that occasion were only recently fed and my suspicion was that the uneaten food which the fish had regurgitated en route into the confines of the bag had created a build-up of ammonia and that was what had caused the deaths.

Anyway, that has totally nothing to do with the subject here, just reminiscing.

However, to add to Crusty's earlier suggestion, if temperature was going to be an issue a small heater could be connected to the inverter he suggests can be used - but in all honesty it wouldn't be especially necessary under most circumstances.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
28 Oct 2013 10:41 #11 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Small heat packs can be picked up for a €1 or 2,and taped to the lid of the poly box,
but in my case its keeping the fish cool.
Ice cubes or bags of frozen peas have done the job for me, but the best are the plastic freezer blocks.

More
28 Oct 2013 12:41 #12 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Very handy, thanks for sharing the idea.

I have often thought about transporting fish across borders but never got decided on going ahead with it, if I do this will come in handy.

Andreas

More
28 Oct 2013 18:32 - 28 Oct 2013 18:32 #13 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Poly boxes are generally all you need for aprox a full day, but if you're worried, put some warm water in a plastic softdrink bottle. I s'pose I should add to use common sense and a bit of thought doing this, not everyone out there does!

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!
Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 18:32 by Acara (Dave Walters).

More
30 Oct 2013 13:26 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
You always were a ingenious bugger crusty nice one

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds