Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New Tank Build

More
12 Nov 2013 20:48 #1 by Mr B (C B)
New Tank Build was created by Mr B (C B)
1. This is the tank I’ve just built apologies for the colour; while I’m testing I thought it would be a good idea to waterlog some bogwood. It measures 1598mm length, 750mm high and 500mm wide. It’s made of 12mm tempered glass front and back and 10mm normal glass for all other (from an old aquarium). Word of advice to anyone who’s going to attempt their own build: The marine silicone I used began to cure within minutes of application, which made spreading a mush messier job than I’d been familiar with so have two or three mates around to help especially if it’s a big aquarium. I applied plastic parcel tape about 30mm in from each edge so I could smear the silicone quickly and still get a clean finish but you really need to remove this as each pane is finished, the silicone cures that quickly! I used duct tape and simple wooden jigs to secure panes as I bonded them together.

2. The top of the aquarium is reinforced with strips of glass along the front, the sides and dividing the length of the aquarium into approximate squares. This will restrict ease of access but adds tremendous strength to the tank. I had bonded the two long strips to front and back the day before assembly which meant I could complete the entire aquarium in one final go.

3.I also had bonded strips of 10mm glass 13mm in from each edge of the base the night before which meant the front and back panels would sit into a ‘step’ which would increase surface area of the silicone bond significantly. You can see them here running the length of the tank. It was really hard to get a clear photo of them.

4.This is the silicone I used. Great stuff but watch out for that fast curing time!

5. This is the canopy I built from plywood and 2" by 1". I'll post more photos of that build soon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2013 20:58 - 12 Nov 2013 20:59 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic New Tank Build
Glass is Glass is Glass and I wouldn't trust myself to do what you did because I would end up with something dreadful but Man, you have some skills, that canopy is damned beautiful, serious high Five to you, and I hate that term but you deserve it.

Lovely stuff!

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 20:59 by Homer (Kevin).

More
12 Nov 2013 22:10 #3 by Mr B (C B)
Replied by Mr B (C B) on topic New Tank Build
Thanks Homer,
I have to admit, when I was filling her up to the top for the first time I was more than a little nervous.

More
12 Nov 2013 22:36 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
That's a fantastic looking aquarium!
Would look really really good in mahogany or something equally as dark!
But then that's personal preference more than anything!

My hats off to ya lad

More
12 Nov 2013 22:39 #5 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic New Tank Build
nice job. saved yourself a few pound id say

More
12 Nov 2013 22:39 - 12 Nov 2013 22:40 #6 by proca (Peter)
Replied by proca (Peter) on topic New Tank Build

Thanks Homer,
I have to admit, when I was filling her up to the top for the first time I was more than a little nervous.

I wouldn't be little nervous, i would shit my self :sick: :whistle:

i'm going to build my own tanks jan-feb next year, can't wait ;)

great job by the way :cool:
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 22:40 by proca (Peter).

More
28 Nov 2013 10:34 #7 by Redser (Richard)
Replied by Redser (Richard) on topic New Tank Build
WOW fantastic! It's looking great, either you are especially gifted or this is not your first attempt at building.
I have a question for you regarding the reinforcing strips at the top if I may,
Now I wish to use a sump filtration system, therefore I will need to be able to have my drain system going into the tank over the side (as this tank is going to be a room divide with one side against the wall) and would like the pipes to be able to run down the glass neatly. If I have a 50mm reinforcing strip there it would push the pipe out too far. Any suggestions?

More
28 Nov 2013 10:38 #8 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic New Tank Build
Really nice tank Mr B

More
28 Nov 2013 16:50 #9 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Seriously impressive piece of work, well done!

More
28 Nov 2013 17:00 #10 by mossy (gavin blanchfield)
great job on the tank
you should have left a square in the bracing strips in the 2 corners at 1 end of the tank for the external filter pipes.its handy for the intake and spray bar pipes
nice height tank for some discus
good solid job,well done

More
28 Nov 2013 17:18 #11 by Mr B (C B)
Thanks Lads.

Redser, If I was going to install a sump I had considered drilling a hole under the reinforcement strip and having an overflow tray on the inside of the tank to raise the level a bit. I've seen a couple of them on you tube.

More
28 Nov 2013 17:32 #12 by Mr B (C B)
Thanks for the tip Mossy.

More
28 Nov 2013 18:06 #13 by Redser (Richard)
Replied by Redser (Richard) on topic New Tank Build
Mr B, Drilling holes in a tank sends shivers up and down my spine, would you think if I were to drill the holes in the brace and maybe use a 75mm brace on the side where the plumbing would go will give enough strength to the structure?

More
28 Nov 2013 21:02 #14 by Mr B (C B)
I'd be fairly confident that would work. Maybe even a section left out like Mossy suggested.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds