Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Background opinions wanted!

More
13 Jun 2014 10:24 #1 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
On well planted tanks do people prefer backgrounds or the see through look (no background) What are the pros and cons of both

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 11:55 #2 by swai (Simon)
Depends what is behind the tank. Color of wall etc. I'm starting a planted tank which will be seen from both sides so I don't know what I'm gonna do!

If you are going for carpet in the foreground and bigger plants in the background I think no backing looks good. Just clear glass.

Depends on personal preference really.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
13 Jun 2014 12:41 #3 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
For me... it would be a dark backround, (Black or blue usually) depending on the plants to show off the contrast better

Lighting would have an influence too tho

More
13 Jun 2014 19:11 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I think the plain black background looks the best

Eric

More
13 Jun 2014 23:22 #5 by gabby (Gabriel Greally)
I agree on the blue and black background I have used both. its a good starting point. with the right decoration in front of it, it can look very natural

More
14 Jun 2014 08:51 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I guess it's a taste thing but I like black. I've also recently switched to acrylic paint as I was tired of the plastic/sealite peeling and bubbling.

If I can paint a tank anyone can, DIY is not my thing.

Looking forward to the pics :)
Dec

More
15 Jun 2014 02:19 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Anybody think the see through (no background) look is better...

More
15 Jun 2014 10:14 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Ive a 30L tank running with no background on it. Now i only have wood and leaves in it and the water is very brown and i dont use lights on it but i think it looks well. I'm not sure how a planted tank would look. Depends on whats behind it i suppose

Eric

More
15 Jun 2014 13:31 #9 by MarkTipp (Mark Ryan)
I would use either a black or blue background and these are usually on the same background sheet with the blue on one side and black on the other so you could try both and see what looks best. Maybe a blue might look best with the plants.

Mark

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds