Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sump setup

More
15 Jun 2014 18:10 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Thanks to Zoom aka Alan from this forum he has setup me with just about everything I need for diy for free with people like this also John I can take my hobby to another leval. My new project is setting up a 125 L sump for my 6ft African cichlid tank all I need is a pump
My question is what pump should I use
And should I use a spray bar or just pump the water from the sump straight to the tank

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2014 21:24 #2 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic sump setup
Spray bar or straight pump is personal preference really!

Pump being used is totally dependant on the pipework and desired cycle rate

I.e. if tank is 500l and you want 6times cycle per hour, you need somewhere around 3000lph pump however most pumps talk about max flow rate and not average, so I would probably over spec the pump slightly too

Just ensure that return pipework allows similar flowrate back to sump as your pumping out of sump

Pump to tank 3000lph return to sump 2000lph = major issue and probably overflow at tank level

Hope this helps buddy

More
15 Jun 2014 23:29 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
going with your figures and some google if tank is 500L and sump is 25% size of the tank that works out at 125L if i use 1inch pvc drain pipe with a t piece from the pump i could use some extra water to go back into the sump would this solve the tank from over flowing i was going to use 1 inch also from the overflow box would this work? would a 4000lph pond pump work?

More
16 Jun 2014 07:30 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic sump setup
I dont see why a pond pump wouldnt work however someone with more experience of sumps may know differently

What I would probably do is have 2 1" return pipes one set half an inch higher than the other! That way should one get clogged or not have enough flow to cope, the water will only raise half an inch before again returning to the sump

I know thee are mathmatical equations that work out the flow volume of a pipe, but I dont know them and probably would struggle to work them out

More
16 Jun 2014 12:57 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Thanks for the help I take photos so hopefully it will help others with setting up a sump

More
18 Jun 2014 19:14 #6 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Replied by bart (Bart Korfanty) on topic sump setup
Hey zx10r

Have look at this article

gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

It describes the way so called herbie overflow works
It's probably one of the most popular systems being used, quiet too

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds