Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Insulation for tank

More
16 Aug 2014 20:30 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hey all ,
I'm going to insulate my tanks for the winter. I have some aeroboard and was going to tape it to the back of the tanks but was wondering is there a better method or material for doing this ?

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2014 20:56 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic Insulation for tank

Hey all ,
I'm going to insulate my tanks for the winter. I have some aeroboard and was going to tape it to the back of the tanks but was wondering is there a better method or material for doing this ?

Eric

I haven't a better method that i can think of off hand but i can say that aeroboard works :)........I had a fish house (converted outdoor shed) set up a year or two back that i rushed into and did arse ways regarding insulation (cart before horse and all that!!) .......My first winter arrived and the heaters couldn't keep up so taped the aeroboard to the back and sides and it worked a treat :) very happy little chappy with it so i was :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
17 Aug 2014 07:20 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Insulation for tank

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
17 Aug 2014 07:29 - 17 Aug 2014 07:39 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Insulation for tank
Internal foil backed insulation board is even better and thin so less obtrusive, if you are using an external filter, this is where u lose a ton of heat, insulate the inside of the cabinet where it is housed, it will behave like a lagging jacket and go a long way to keeping the costs down. Keeping the Door of the room closed will keep heat lost in the room and lessen the costly clicks of the thermostat.

Don't tape it, Velcro it and it will be a simple matter of removing it in summer.

A simple click on our buddy Google has just thrown up This

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2014 07:39 by Homer (Kevin).

More
17 Aug 2014 07:58 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
Woodies/BandQ cant remember which one does foil insulation for back of rads. Its on a roll and easy
To wrap around an external filter and tank.

More
17 Aug 2014 09:40 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Insulation for tank
It's worth mentioning that - since heat rises - it follows that most heat is lost from the top of the tank, so it's worth paying special attention to insulating the hood/cover.
Of course you shouldn't not consider the advice already given - just bear the above fact in mind, just regard this as supplementary advice.

John.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
17 Aug 2014 11:46 #7 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Thanks lads. Ill see what price that foil is and do the back and sides with that if its reasonable. Ill cut some aero board to leave on the hoods. Even if it saved just a few euro it would help.

Eric

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds