Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Safe to paint a tank with fish in it?

More
21 Aug 2014 08:22 - 21 Aug 2014 08:22 #1 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Hey guys,

Thinking of changing my backgrounds and would just like a plain black one so thinking of just painting it.

Looks like the best type of paint to use would be acrylic or blackboard paint.

I would have fish in the tank though so would it be safe for them? It would be beside a back door so could keep that open for ventilation.

Was thinking some black vinyl might also do the trick but not sure where I could get that in Galway.

Would love to hear what ye think would be the best option.

Thanks
Last edit: 21 Aug 2014 08:22 by Ski (Alan McGee).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2014 09:15 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I recently painted the room where my wife keeps me, my books and the fish ;)
It's a tiny room but I made sure the tanks were well covered and had the window open alot. No fatalities. I did water changes on all the tanks afterwards just to be safe. I think as long as you ventilate and are v careful not to get any paint into the tank, you should be fine.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Aug 2014 11:56 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
For those contemplating a painting, and sorry, but I know this isn't of much use to you as you already have a stocked tank, I use Acrylic based car paint, Aerosol, the result in black looks like it has been done in a professional spraying booth, it doesn't lift and water has no affect on it.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
21 Aug 2014 12:21 #4 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Good idea though Kev

More
21 Aug 2014 12:29 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)

For those contemplating a painting, and sorry, but I know this isn't of much use to you as you already have a stocked tank, I use Acrylic based car paint, Aerosol, the result in black looks like it has been done in a professional spraying booth, it doesn't lift and water has no affect on it.

Kev.

Sorry Ski i'm not trying to rob your thread !!

@Kev.......How many coats did you have to spray on?....i used a Blackboard paint Aerosol before and i had to coat it 4-5 times before it looked ok,as opposed to just painting Blackboard paint on were 2 coats did the trick..........i know it dries very quickly but cost wise painting it on made much more sense..........how does the Acrylic based paint Aerosol compare to a tin of paint price wise?.......i know you were just pointing the Aerosol out because of the finish it gave and it's resistance to water but i'm just curious about the things i asked aswell.

@Ski......as was said,make sure the tank is covered,lower filter outlets,open all windows and doors close by and it will be grand.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
21 Aug 2014 12:36 #6 by Ski (Alan McGee)
No probs at all Ger, interested to hear all methods, thanks for the info

More
21 Aug 2014 13:36 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
Hi Ger/Ski,

One coat and you are done, when you think you have finished, look through the opposite side you have painted, this will show any "Stars" you may have missed, easy then to give a swipe with spray and that's it.

I can't remember what I paid for the can but less than a tenner.

A big tank would cost more depending on its size, it is important to paint the surface with gentle swipes of spray to avoid drips.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds