Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

efficient overhead sump

More
31 Jan 2015 01:21 #1 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2015 01:25 #2 by alan 64 (alan)
did u make that mate

More
31 Jan 2015 08:03 #3 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
yes sir. I had it working for months previous to the move and had not bothered setting it up again in new apartment, but quickly changed my mind because i hate using the syphon to suck up uneaten food every day. So i set it up last night and in an hour or so it collected all the gunk you see on the filter floss: now i just change the floss.

More
31 Jan 2015 08:52 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
looks great but it looks like you still have problems with air in the intake if you move the air stone that will help and make sure all fittings are air tight
once you get these things sorted you get a nice even flow. I have done a diy overflow for me eheim 2260 and like you it was terrible at first trying to get the water to syphon. looks great i might try this myself with the 190 corner tank.

Something fishie going on here

More
31 Jan 2015 13:07 #5 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
That is very nice ! and you probably have 0 Nitrates :-) thanks for sharing

More
31 Jan 2015 13:23 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Other filters would have a hard time beating an overhead filter system. You even have the advantage of being able to grow plants in the filter for added filtration functions.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
31 Jan 2015 18:22 #7 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

looks great but it looks like you still have problems with air in the intake if you move the air stone that will help and make sure all fittings are air tight
once you get these things sorted you get a nice even flow. I have done a diy overflow for me eheim 2260 and like you it was terrible at first trying to get the water to syphon. looks great i might try this myself with the 190 corner tank.

Hi James i think you are assuming i have a pump sending the water up. But it's not the case. It is an airlift hence all the air gushing out. I lift water with an air stone in the pipe. I prefer this system because then all chunks of leftover beef heart can be sucked in, make their way up and i collect them on the filter floss. If i was using a pump it would get clogged right away. The bigger air stone near the pipe allows to draw the leftover foods to that corner so that they end up getting sucked in.

More
31 Jan 2015 18:35 #8 by alan 64 (alan)
you should do a video making one of these I think this is great but I don't realy understand how its set up well the part on how the water is being sucked up is still puzzling me

More
31 Jan 2015 18:58 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Hi James i think you are assuming i have a pump sending the water up. But it's not the case. It is an airlift hence all the air gushing out. I lift water with an air stone in the pipe. I prefer this system because then all chunks of leftover beef heart can be sucked in, make their way up and i collect them on the filter floss. If i was using a pump it would get clogged right away. The bigger air stone near the pipe allows to draw the leftover foods to that corner so that they end up getting sucked in.

thats great idea i didn't know how it worked till now thanks for explaining it to me

Something fishie going on here

More
31 Jan 2015 20:54 #10 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

you should do a video making one of these I think this is great but I don't realy understand how its set up well the part on how the water is being sucked up is still puzzling me

I may do a video on that one of these days. The concept is simple but it does not always work.
Everything is based on the fact that air bubbles expands and get bigger as they get closer to the water surface.
Put a vertical tube or pipe in a tank. Inject air bubbles at the bottom of it and as they come up the bubbles are going to drag and move water along.
Intensity will depend on air pump output, depth, inside diameter of the pipe...

I use that principle to raise water in my pvc pipe and let it fall on the floss. Most people use an electric pump to send water to the overhead sump but in my case there is small chunks of beef that would clog a pump so the air lift was a better solution.

More
31 Jan 2015 21:03 #11 by alan 64 (alan)
oh I see well that is realy cool and a job well done

More
01 Feb 2015 01:24 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I have one of these running on my cave tank. I made it after seeing Miamiheat's a while back. It runs on a pump instead of an air uplift. Very low maintenance, easy to customise and as has been said before, having plants in the sump is a bonus for nitrate removal.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
01 Feb 2015 09:39 #13 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Very clever indeed. Impressive :hammer:

More
01 Feb 2015 10:48 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Still planning on putting one of these together for my trigon 190
Might get at it this week some time!!!!

More
01 Feb 2015 14:22 - 01 Feb 2015 15:04 #15 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Nice setup. I think Uarujoey has a video of something similar a great or place to start I think
Last edit: 01 Feb 2015 15:04 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers).

More
01 Feb 2015 17:41 #16 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Amazing Stephane and fair play for sharing....how have the fish settled into new water etc since your move?
Chat soon

More
01 Feb 2015 23:26 #17 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Nice setup. I think Uarujoey has a video of something similar a great or place to start I think

Yes i got the concept from Uarujoey (KING OF DIY) as I am a big fan=> Then i built from there and adapted to my needs.

More
01 Feb 2015 23:29 #18 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

Amazing Stephane and fair play for sharing....how have the fish settled into new water etc since your move?
Chat soon

Hi Brian the fish are alive and i acclimated them extremely slowly but there is something bothering them and i don't know what it is: they are extremely skittish these last few days. Wondering what it could be.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds