Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Lidl furniture movers

More
02 Aug 2015 08:41 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
So i was looking at the furniture movers in Lidl recently and had a thought, this can be dangerous for me just ask my wife. But anyway was thinking if I put 3 or 4 of those side by side could I put a tank cabinet on it and have an aquarium on wheels, be handy for maintenance.

Thoughts?
Q

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2015 09:47 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Are you talking about the felt pads you stick on? Or rollers?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Aug 2015 13:09 #3 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
They had the rollers there the other day.
The main thing to remember is to move slowly and continuously, no sudden jolts.
It's also an idea to do it when the water level is down, like during a water change.

More
02 Aug 2015 13:33 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Would the tank and cabinet be sitting on it permanently? The reservation I'd have about that is the enormous weight of a water-filled tank, even static. My largest tank is only 190L. With aquarium, stand and contents, that's close to a quarter of a tonne. Most furniture wouldn't be that weight and besides, it wouldn't be sitting on plastic castors permanently. I'd be wary of it, to be honest.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Aug 2015 13:38 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
They are crap you are better off buying a more expensive pair with a better build quality the ones from lidl mark the floor if u are like me they would only be used once and then left in the shed

Something fishie going on here

More
02 Aug 2015 14:02 #6 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
My (probably mad) idea was to leave a tank on them permanently as they are supposed to handle 250kg.

Then next time I want to clean filter hoses I could move tank away from the wall a bit.

More
02 Aug 2015 14:55 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
Sounds like a bad idea to me mate

More
02 Aug 2015 15:12 #8 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
That is a recipe for a disaster :crazy:

More
02 Aug 2015 16:09 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

That is a recipe for a disaster :crazy:

You are probably right.

Is there a safe way to put wheels on an aquarium cabinet I wonder

More
02 Aug 2015 16:41 #10 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
Aquarium cabinet are pretty badly made in my opinion so you will be stressing it by trying to move it, which in turn will stress the silicone joints of the tank itself.
Real heavy duty wheels are expensive, i used some a few months back for a bespoke furniture and the wheels i used were 80 euros a peace.

More
02 Aug 2015 18:42 - 02 Aug 2015 18:43 #11 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

My (probably mad) idea was to leave a tank on them permanently as they are supposed to handle 250kg.

Then next time I want to clean filter hoses I could move tank away from the wall a bit.

I would just detach hoses from filter and clean them, no need to move whole tank. I agree it's too much risk, also you would need perfectly flat floor for moving tank which is unlikely.

Tom
Last edit: 02 Aug 2015 18:43 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

More
02 Aug 2015 20:07 #12 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Its so risky Id stay well clear of the idea to be honest.

More
02 Aug 2015 23:22 #13 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
You could move it out a few inches and leave it there if access is too tight.

More
02 Aug 2015 23:41 #14 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Lidl furniture movers
I have a 40 Litre on a drawer cabinet on wheels, I move it to vacuum the floor behind it while full , brilliant!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
03 Aug 2015 08:04 #15 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

I have a 40 Litre on a drawer cabinet on wheels, I move it to vacuum the floor behind it while full , brilliant!

Kev.

Q did not mentioned size of tank, but as he wanted to use 3-4 movers handling 250kg each I'm assuming his tank weight at least half ton. I might sound like smart ass but you really can't compare that to 40l.

You really don't want 300+ liters on your floor not to mention € damage just cause of easier cleaning.

Tom

More
03 Aug 2015 10:06 #16 by paulv (paul vickers)
Concider making your own, 12 or 18 mm ply with roller bearing wheels on it. If it's a big tank I'd use 6 wheels, spread the weight evenly. Make sure it's roller bearing castor wheels as they move 360°.

More
03 Aug 2015 17:34 #17 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)

Concider making your own, 12 or 18 mm ply with roller bearing wheels on it. If it's a big tank I'd use 6 wheels, spread the weight evenly. Make sure it's roller bearing castor wheels as they move 360°.

Thx Paulv that looks interesting.

My tanks are 180 and 260 at the moment.

More
03 Aug 2015 21:40 #18 by Homer (Kevin)
I never assumed any volumetric value, I simply referenced MY experience and how it worked for me, I did assume however that the OP would have the savvy to work out his own use of my experience without the necessity to nanny him on the use of common sense.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
03 Aug 2015 21:44 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
You don't just SOUND like a smart Ass, you ARE one!

More
03 Aug 2015 22:00 #20 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Lidl furniture movers
Please, let moderation be the watchword here.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Aug 2015 22:02 #21 by Homer (Kevin)
I'm out of here.

More
03 Aug 2015 22:10 #22 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)

You don't just SOUND like a smart Ass, you ARE one!

I'm really sorry that my comment made you angry I did not ment to make your experience less relevant, just common sense that bigger tanks cannot be treated same way as small. We all want to share our best knowledge here.

Also if you would know me personally you would know I'm not ;) , no hard feelings

Tom

More
03 Aug 2015 22:16 #23 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Declan i think common sense is the approach on this one,those tanks arent small and to put trust in 4 wheels under it takes alot of risk in my opinion.I mean realistically what maintaince you presently do wont be made overly easy by moving a tank,ok the water is closer to the tank etc...but nothing a hose and few buckets wont fix.Its just not worth the risk really.

Gavin

More
03 Aug 2015 23:09 #24 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
OK so the furniture movers would not be a suitable solution but they did start me thinking.

It has occurred to me and maybe some others while doing some maintenance "wouldn't it be handy to be able to move this tank a bit", like the next time the dinning room is being painted or just making it easier to remove and replace hoses.

There must be heavier items that a fish tank on wheels and having had a Google around there appears to be some clever levelling castors which could also be useful to level a tank.

Looking at the prices I can see why they are not in use much and I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy a set.

It is a matter of scale perhaps, it is convenient and simple for Homer to move his 40l a little to vacume the floor. It would be convenient but maybe not feasible to do the same with a larger tank.

More
09 Aug 2015 21:49 #25 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)

I never assumed any volumetric value, I simply referenced MY experience and how it worked for me, I did assume however that the OP would have the savvy to work out his own use of my experience without the necessity to nanny him on the use of common sense.

Kev.

+1

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds