Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pine as driftwood

More
19 Feb 2017 17:51 - 19 Feb 2017 17:53 #1 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Hi,

I'm wondering has anyone ever used well seasoned pine in a tank. I picked up a few bits today and am wondering if they are safe. The tree was knocked 4 or 5 years ago. And all the bark has came off.
I've done some research and I'm getting conflicting answers.
Some saying not to use it. Some saying it's fine just won't last as long as hard wood, which I don't really mind as I'll probably change my mind in a year or 2 and escape anyway.

Has anybody any experience or opinions.

I'm pretty sure it's Scott's pine if that makes any difference.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2017 17:53 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney). Reason: Auto correct

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2017 18:17 #2 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
not sure what happened the pic

Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2017 08:49 #3 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Hi
I used pine many times in my tanks. No problems at all. It does last a lot shorter tho, especially if you have any plecos. It's a lot easier for them to munch on softer wood.

Of course we taking well seasoned, no sap wood.

More
25 Feb 2017 20:01 #4 by freem (mark freeman)
That's good to know, thanks for the heads up.... I always thought it was a definite no no.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds