Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Air pump box

More
03 Nov 2017 09:39 #1 by robert (robert carter)
Hi all, just wondering has anyone made up a box in which to put an air pump in ,to make it quieter . I tried making one up out of aeroboard but it made very little difference . This set up is in a bedroom so need to do something quickly . Did think or putting a power head on the sponge , but angels in the tank and they dont like big water movement .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2017 11:09 #2 by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin)
Replied by Aldrin (Aldrin Martin) on topic Air pump box
Have u tried putting the air pump on a sponge

More
03 Nov 2017 11:14 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Air pump box
Robert, is this a new pump?
Older pumps can get quite noisy when the air filter gets blocked, quite often after this is cleaned and replaced the pump will become appreciable more quiet.
Another reason, I've found is that if the airflow is restricted it will cause the pump to get noisier.
What I mean is if your airline is only going to the one filter and the line is clamped to reduce flow this can cause the problem.
Far better still is to use a tee connector with a valve on the now spare tube to permit the extra air to escape rather than be trapped (I hope this makes sense).
Standing the pump on some foam (sponge) rubber will also help as it will reduce resonance caused by the vibration of the pump.
I don't think enclosing a pump in styrofoam is such a good idea as it might possibly overheat due to the foam's insulative properties. And, if you made it too airtight it would eventually starve the pump of an intake of air.

Many powerheads, thinking about your other suggestion, can have their output reduced quite appreciably so allying one to a sponge filter might well do the trick. While Angels might prefer little flow they are very versatile in this respect and find the areas of least flow.

Just a couple of thoughts there, maybe other members might be able to suggest alternatives for you too..

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Nov 2017 13:48 #4 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Replied by Jonlate (Jon Late) on topic Air pump box
If it is in the bedroom, do what I did, and put the pump in the loft. Wire a switch on to one of the wires to turn it on and off and run the hose down with it into the bedroom.
Hang the pump off the rafter so it doesn’t touch anything and isn’t on the fiberglass.
Hey presto a quiet fish tank.

More
03 Nov 2017 18:44 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
A powerhead is the way to go if your tank is in the bedroom.
The aquael pat mini filter heads are bullet proof, cheap and the flow is adjustable to a drip. I have some running my undergravel filters at the minute and used them before to run single and double sponge filters.
Attachments:

More
03 Nov 2017 20:02 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Air pump box
Thanks everyone for your ideas, well i went out and brought an ehiem 400 air pump and yes they are almost silent ,but this is the biggest in the range and the output is not great , maybe this is why they are quiet and at almost 50 euro not cheap . My 12 euro chinese pumps have a much bigger output but are noisier

More
04 Nov 2017 16:31 #7 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
I have the ehiem in my House too very quiet not a huge air flow but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t providing your aquarium with the right amount of air flow it requires

More
04 Nov 2017 17:29 #8 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Robert you could try the old school method wrap it in a sock haven't used an air pump in a while but when I did have one on a tank in a bedroom that's what I did.

Or else put it on a sheet of Styrofoam might muffle the sound for you.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
04 Nov 2017 20:08 #9 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic Air pump box
The new ehiem is working well nice and quiet . However things things are going to change as i have just ordered a racking system thats going into my bedroom , no room downstairs, that i am hoping to eventually put 6 100 litre tank on , not sure

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds