Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

DIY External Filters

More
21 Jun 2007 17:07 #1 by Alan86 (Alan86)
Just wondering if anyones ever tried to build something like this?...i got a small 15L tank i want to set up but dont want to waist space with a internal filter. Might try make some sort of external to do the job. Any ideas?

Alan

The money was just resting in my Account!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2007 18:18 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
IMO it's not worth it for that size of tank. A small internal sponge filter will be more than adequate. What do you intend using a tank that small for anyway? My hospital tank is bigger than that (and so is my wallet if you're to believe Anto!).

Regards,

Ken.

More
21 Jun 2007 18:54 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
As long as you have a power-head or a pump, putting together an external filter shouldest be a problem. All you will have to do is follow the same principles for the designs as the production ones. But if I was making one I would leave out the stop valves and just have very simple filter medium. i.e. rounded pebbles and filter floss. Since the tank is fairly small you will only require a small little pump. I think you could easily make something out of a two litre bottle.

If you want to make a cheap internal filter have a look at this one that I made a while ago. I also wrote a post for another forum so I just copied and paste the txt here.

.....................................................................................................

This little contraption works a treat and goes together very quickly. The parts you need are a power head of some description (in this case a pump that used to be in an indoor fountain/water feature), some filter media, a handful of stones/gravel and a fish food container.

The tools needed are a drill with two sizes of drill bits and some aquarium safe silicone.

Firstly drill a large hole in the cap of the fish food container. Then using the aquarium safe silicone secure the cap over the intake area making sure to form a complete seal so that all the water is drawn through the large hole that you have just drilled.

Next, Drill a series of holes in the bottom of the fish food container using a smaller drill bit. Once all the holes have been drilled you can place the media and gravel inside the fish food container.

Place the gravel in first (Lots of surface area for beneficial bacterial growth), next to go in is the filter floss (helps polish the water) and then the larger filter foam (prevent gravel and filter floss being sucked into the impeller).

Then simply screw the container together and you have yourself "POWER FILTER"". The fountain pump that I have used for this filter, is a touch on the power full side and as a result I had to add a spray bar to stop fish and water from being blown out of the tank.

This contraption does not look the best but it works.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
22 Jun 2007 09:26 #4 by Alan86 (Alan86)
lol
Thats really kl tanks_alot! :D Ill give it a look into!

@ Ken, Yeah i know its a small tank!....aint much ya can do with somthing this small!...ok for fry...thinking of doing a nano planted tank!....maybe a few small rasboras or something in there too. on a budget for this tho so will be a DIY as much as possible job!

Ill look into making something small maybe, else ill just use a spounge filter.
will keep yas posted if i do the external tho!

Thanks guys!
Alan

The money was just resting in my Account!

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds