Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Electrical supplies

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • apistodiscus (apistodiscus)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2007 17:08 #1 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Electrical supplies was created by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I'm slowely but surely cracking up trying to get electronic components for the hood I am building.
I got electronic ballasts of an electrician yesterday. Unfortunately they are for emergency lighting and will not switch off when I need them to be off. There's a battery inside them that will keep the lights running even if the mains electricity is cut off. Bummer.

Ok, here is what I am looking for:
electronic ballast 4*36w
8x G13 bi-pin caps with stand that can be attached to the hood by screws. IP66 or 67 standard would be nice but strictly speaking not neccessary.

None of the electrical wholesalers in Cork are selling them. I would have to order the parts in and it would make the overall price prohibitive.

I checked with www.radionics.ie. They sell the ballast but not the sockets.

Does anybody know where I could buy the whole lot?

Thanks
Holger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2007 20:09 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Here is a link to where you can buy the electrics and if even comes with a hood.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

www.geocities.com/hillbilly_nurse/HALLOWEENechair.html

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2007 23:17 #3 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re:Electrical supplies
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: nuts

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2007 23:28 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Electrical supplies
Fr. Jack wrote:

Here is a link to where you can buy the electrics and if even comes with a hood.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

www.geocities.com/hillbilly_nurse/HALLOWEENechair.html

I don't want to make Anto's shovel redundant but to get some light over my take :silly:

More
16 Nov 2007 00:40 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Howdy,

I've been pondering about your situation and although it may be possible to by all the parts separately, I can only imagine the cost of travelling to the different places and getting the different parts may cost more than if you actually bought the light units themselves.

Here is what I suggest,

Buy two Hagen Glomat Double Starter Units, from www.aquatics-online.co.uk link to the units You will get all the necessary clips and ties in the box, plus the tube/power connections are water proof.

They are run on digital ballasts just liked you asked for, however they only do 20, 30 and 40 watt double starter units, unlike the 36watt you require. The total cost of the two starter units and postage and packaging will cost you €66.40.

I'm not sure if this is overdoing the budget but its the best solution I can think of. I'm not sure if anybody does these kits in Ireland but they might also be able to help you out. BTW; The prices on aquatics-online are cheaper that Buy It Now on ebay.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2007 23:16 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Electrical supplies
Thanks Denis
66.40€ is well within budget. It was really a question of budget but rather that I exactly get what I want.
I'm getting the timber and all other materials for free. The father-in-law is a carpenter/builder and he won't miss the bit of timber I need. Coming to think of it he'll probably the unit for me if I ask him nicely?

A 40w unit will start a 36 or 38W bulb. That's not an issue. I might go for the Arcadia double starter units. Somewhat more expensive but comes with more solid looking end caps that are compliant with IP67.
Holger

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds