Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

drilling for sump

• pierce (pierce)
  • pierce (pierce)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2008 22:47 - 02 Feb 2008 23:06 #1 by pierce (pierce)
drilling for sump was created by pierce (pierce)
Thinking of drilling a spare tank for a sump just as a DIY project.Any body drill their own and are willing to sell the drill bit or if any one knows were i can get one tomorrow sunday. I know impatient but it will stop me going on the drink tomorrow,Sorry can one of the mods move this to the wanted forum
Last edit: 02 Feb 2008 23:06 by pierce (pierce).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2008 00:22 #2 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Atlantic home care have them as would must diy shops

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
03 Feb 2008 00:37 #3 by Zoom (Zoom)
Replied by Zoom (Zoom) on topic Re:drilling for sump
The drill bits you need are very hard to come by, they are diamond tipped hole saws. I have checked most of the hardware shops in Dublin and haven't been able to find one. They are very expensive if you can come by them around 70.00 euro for a 3/4 inch bit. Its a very complicated process trying to drill glass as the bit slips along the surface while your trying to drill, its best to have a drill stand and some kind of mould like plasticine to keep lubrication on the area your drilling and stop the drill bit sliding. you can lubricate with the likes of white spirits. Let me know if you find somewhere to source a bit as my last one broke and Im on the lookout for one. Good luck

More
03 Feb 2008 01:31 #4 by suckers (matt lait)
just looked those bits uk .bloke in uk sells them
his addy is
cgi.ebay.ie/20mm-Diamond-Coated-Drill-Bi...122754QQcmdZViewItem

More
03 Feb 2008 01:43 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think it would be better to bring the tank along to a glass shop and get them to cut the holes. It could work out as a very expensive experiment.

Regards,

Ken.

More
03 Feb 2008 12:45 #6 by Legless (Legless)
Hi, I have drilled a good few tanks now, never a problem, just drill steady and the main thing is to keep the drill bit wet when drilling,

I Drill glass at work about twice a month.

1st, drill a template the same size on wood, mdf or ply,
then clamp it or get someone to hold it steady just where you need to drill,
then poor water into the template hole,
place your drill into template and drill on a low speed untill the glass has a definate score mark,
then you can increase drill speed but be sure to keep the water flowing, if its not wet the hole will be rough around the edge,
the MOST IMPORTANT thing at this stage is to take the weight of the drill in your hands and not apply any pressure as this WILL crack the tank, just be steady,
it take about 3 mins to drill a 10mm base.

The best value drill bits are in B&Q, about 13e = 10mm and about 25e upto 45mm
Good Look.:laugh:

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2008 13:39 #7 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:drilling for sump
Cheers for all the advice.Sure i might have a go i will keep you all informed be good or bad. :laugh:

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2008 23:58 #8 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:update on drilling for sump
HI just a quick update on the drilling for sump experiment.Well i got the diamond encrusted drill bit in BQ in airside business park it cost 14.98 for a 1.5 inch bit.I drilled the tank tonight it seemed to take ages but it was only about 3-4 mins everything went well.B)
Thanks again for all the advice and tips
Zoom they have 4-5 different size bits in BQ and there not to expensive if you can,t get one were you are let me know i could pick one up and send it to you.You are more than welcome to borrow mine if you want ,I say borrow because i think paulm is going to have a go at one of his tanks(not the big tank)

More
05 Feb 2008 00:50 #9 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
Pierce did you use the template??
seems like very good advice!!
personally i wouldn't have the balls to start drilling into a tank!!!

Dayo ;)

• pierce (pierce)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Feb 2008 01:16 #10 by pierce (pierce)
Replied by pierce (pierce) on topic Re:update on drilling for sump
I put the tank on a sheet on the floor made sure it was dry inside and out.Drilled a spare tile i had from the kitchen for the template i then put masking tape inside of the tank were i was goinig to drill.I then turned the tank upside down and placed the template tile on it.I taped over the edges of the template to hold it steady i used alot of tape for this i then filled the the template hole with water and put the drill on number 1 torc and slowly started drilling i stopped every now and then to make sure there was always water in the template hole to keep the drill cool.when the bit finally went through the glass the tape on the inside of the tank stops the cut piece from falling and smashing off the sides of the tank

More
06 Feb 2008 23:36 #11 by Darkrin (Damien Kane)
Fair play ta ya pierce,

Very good account of how you did it too!!

Dayo ;)

More
15 Feb 2008 18:32 #12 by Zoom (Zoom)
Replied by Zoom (Zoom) on topic Re:drilling for sump
Pierce nice one mate, thanks for letting me know where to get one . Glad everything went well . :) , i'll try pick one up when i'm out that way the price is great too , thats by far the cheapest .

More
29 Mar 2008 02:06 #13 by Oregato (William Li)
just a quick one, why would you drill your tank?

More
29 Mar 2008 10:09 #14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
in this hobby bigger is better so to but in the simplest terms by adding a sump you add more water thus a system that is more stable it can be used to filter water etc.

this is a very basic explanation.
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
30 Mar 2008 01:47 #15 by Oregato (William Li)
thanks mate, got the pm as well.. cheers

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds