Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Layout of fish room... which is best

More
29 Feb 2008 17:17 - 29 Feb 2008 17:17 #1 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
what do you think would be the best layout (if any) of these for a 9.25 x 9 foot room

Option one

Option two

Option three
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 17:17 by arabesque (Mick Veale).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Feb 2008 17:26 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Layout of fish room... which is best
Any windows/doors ?

Valerie

More
29 Feb 2008 19:21 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Also are you planning to space heat the room or individual heaters? What height are the ceilings?

Are you only having one level of tanks or are there tanks underneath each other?

The size of the tanks will depend on what you are keeping . breeding, but always leave room for another fry tank or that fish you just could not resis and a Q tank too, or more than one of them, one may be tied up with treatments etc.

More
29 Feb 2008 20:12 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
i think hes gonna have 3 levels of tanks daragh. i think he should have option 1 without the one comin out of the 6x2x2, to leave plenty of space for walking viewing, etc. whats yours like daragh? is it cramped?

lampeye

More
29 Feb 2008 20:45 #5 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
ceiling height 253 cm

A door on the bottom left,
Window that will be blocked up behind the 2 foot in option one.

Planning to heat individual tanks as opposed to heating the room.

Hoping for three tier system.

More
29 Feb 2008 20:48 - 29 Feb 2008 20:51 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Mine would be an excellent example of how not to do it, Arabesque PM me if you want to visit. I will try and do a plan later.

If there are three layers of tanks, space heating should be the way to go, but it depends on how well insulated the room is, I tried it and Securicor had to deliver the ESB bill, so I am back to individual heating and some space heating.

With that many tanks if you can incorporate a drain or water outlet and water supply you will be very grateful when it come to water changes.

Planning is the most important thing, I can vouch for that because I did none!
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 20:51 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
29 Feb 2008 20:52 #7 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Mine would be an excellent example of how not to do it, Arabesque PM me if you want to visit. I will try and do a plan later.

If there are three layers of tanks, space heating should be the way to go, but it depends on how well insulated the room is, I tried it and Securicor had to deliver the ESB bill, so I am back to individual heating and some space heating.

With that many tanks if you can incorporate a drain or water outlet and water supply you will be very grateful when it come to water changes.

Planning id the most important thing, I can vouch for that because I did none!

Hah...! yeah im planning to insulate, and provide a drain in bottom right.
Above the 6x2x2 will be a 100 gallon header tank for water changes
here's the original link to my plans...

www.cichlidforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=164029

More
29 Feb 2008 21:43 - 29 Feb 2008 21:43 #8 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

...I will try and do a plan later...

Skip that idea, I don't have enough hair left to pull out, if you want to see it in person, no problem.

If there are currently no tanks in the room, take advantage of that and insulate and plumb etc, now, much much easier than when you start moving in tanks. Once insulated you should heat the room. The ESB bill is a major consideration with so many tanks. My last one was €765!

Now you know how important insulation is.
Last edit: 29 Feb 2008 21:43 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens).

More
29 Feb 2008 22:42 #9 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Commenting purely on the tank layout,I would prefer option 1,it would leave more room,and minimises parts of tanks being hidden away in corners,eg the top 2 corners,and the 2 tanks in the middle that run to the wall.
Take Daragh up on his offer,but allow several hours!!!!

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
01 Mar 2008 13:14 #10 by aquaman0_6 (Tim Edwards)
B)

Have you thought about having some tanks end on in one section...this will enable you to make much more use of the space...

More
04 Mar 2008 02:09 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
if you have the room for option 3 go for it would love that myself

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2008 09:29 - 04 Mar 2008 14:42 #12 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Layout of fish room... which is best
Other suggestion ?

This drawing is not to scale - From the info you gave, the room would be 108*111 inches.

Regards,
Valerie

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2008 14:42 by Valerie (Valerie).

More
04 Mar 2008 17:18 #13 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
For insulation i would use kingspan. This comes in foil back sheets or faced off with plastering boards.
This stuff is almost to good so you will definitely need a vent in the room or a vent with an extractor.

More
06 Mar 2008 14:45 #14 by JohnH (John)
I have been watching this thread with great interest, not least because I am in the process of trying to organise my downstairs spare bedroom to become my own 'fish room'...

I will ask a couple of what might appear to be ‘leading’ questions - for no other reason than to try to give you the 'benefit' of some of my mistakes so far...

Are the room dimensions you quote exact? I did a wonderful plan of how I intended to make the staging for the tanks, then realised that I had forgotten to allow space for not only the staging uprights but also the small amount of 'allowance' I would need to be able to put in/take out the tanks, should the need arise – not to mention the thickness of the insulation material, in my case I want to use 1” thick polystyrene sheeting (Aeroboard) as I cannot unfortunately afford Platty’s suggested Kingspan, much as I would like to.
Another problem I am wrestling with right now is how to access the electricity sockets, there are two in that room, each will – sadly – end up behind a tank! This can be easily overcome by plugging a short extension lead into each but should the necessity arise to take out the plugs for the leads it will mean having to remove the tank in front of the socket. Sadly I don’t have sufficient width in my room to be able to set the staging far enough from the wall to allow access behind the tanks concerned but even if I had I would really like the staging to be standing against the wall for stability.

So, in a very roundabout way I am attempting to wonder if, in your planning, you have been more practical than I had been?

I can see how each of your designs has it’s own merit and will be most interested to find out which one you finally go for.

From a breeding point of view I would be disinclined to totally block out the window. That so many species fish are stimulated by dawn to trigger off spawning is a fact which ought to be considered by you, for myself the window in my room faces North-West so does not receive any direct sunlight until almost the final part of the day…my shed proves to be quite an effective ‘screen’ earlier on in the late afternoon/evening. Unfortunately artificial lighting cannot successfully re-create that of the dawn, not yet anyway.

Good luck with your project, it would be nice to hear how it goes – blow by blow, so to speak.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
11 Mar 2008 16:51 #15 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, and valerie thanks a millon for the effort in making that option

John, sorry i only saw this post now.

Well things are progressing, slowly, but definitely progressing.
To cover your questions first... no the room wasnt exactly measured to scale.
Ive got roughly 9.5 feet by 9 feet but honestly i dont think any of these are going to work.
Ive got a new batch of drawings that im trying to work out the merit of.

Also hoping to take some of the other suggestions on board and intstall a small sink and worktop along with shelving. However ive also decided to take off the door and hang it differntly so that it opens up away from the fish room which will give me more room.

Ive got my plumbing job done in the attic, moving a header tank but now im planning to get the electrics in first before putting in the insulation. I'll add a second vent to the room to allow for good air circulation and pull the tanks out a few inches from the walls.

I found a great link that in my opinion is the best resource that ive found
www.tedsfishroom.com/wp/fishroom

has a great layout and shows how he did everything...

More
12 Mar 2008 00:51 #16 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I have to say my choice would be to heat the room to the minimum level I require then the tanks that require higher levels I would place heathers in.

During a power cut you can use something like a a gas heater to keep the room at the minimum level and battery air pumps.

what filter system are you going to use. some thing like a compressor and sponge type system or some thing more technical.
Mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds