Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

SUMPS

• russell (russell)
  • russell (russell)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 05:27 #1 by russell (russell)
SUMPS was created by russell (russell)
Continuation of Q&A regrding Russells Sump

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 05:40 #2 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic sump

As you can see the airstone circulates the heat before it retuns to tank. difference of 1 degree- sump 87 tank 86

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 05:46 #3 by russell (russell)
Return to tank. the outlet is above water surface for a reason.
If it is below the water level it could be syphoned back into the sump on a power outage until the water level reache the bottom of the outlet and breaks the syphon,
This way there can be ne back syhoning of water.[img][img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/russellie/return.jpg[/img][/img]

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 07:07 #4 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Sump
I have just noticed that someone thinks I MADE the overflow box
If you red the thread I use a SCHURAN o/box. You Buy these from SCHURAN look at there website.
All I am doing is showing how it works and my homemade sump.
its the sump that is the topic not the box

More
08 Feb 2007 10:01 #5 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: SUMPS
Russell,

In one of your previous posts you indicated that you have this setup in your fish house/sunroom. Do you not have algae problems because of sunlight or is it protected enough from that ?

Thanks

Monty

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 10:59 #6 by russell (russell)
A good question.
Although it gets all day sun I have no algea probs.
I think that speaks for the System. (Touch Wood)
Other inhabitants of tank are a shoal of cardinals - two hi fin gold rams-5 Cory's and a clown loach. all get on ammicably.

More
08 Feb 2007 12:21 #7 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Sump

I have just noticed that someone thinks I MADE the overflow box
If you red the thread I use a SCHURAN o/box. You Buy these from SCHURAN look at there website.
All I am doing is showing how it works and my homemade sump.
its the sump that is the topic not the box

Russel I seen in the prievous photo, your good self I hope I have such a good crop of hair when I get to retirement age.

A little question, I am not sure if I am pushing my limits for one day, but you know the way an classic eheim external filter inlet is a long rigid tube with a strainer on the end, almost taking the bottom section of the water column, so as the fish move around they disturb the detritus and by its design it gets whisk up the inlet slit. (saves boring water changes and cleaning the bottom)

The drilled tank without the right fitting would have the same disadvantage as its inlet is at the surface level, which I suppose is a greakt skimmer for scum, although it would remove floating food despite a strainer before the fish can eat it.

To get over this the drilled tank is modified so that if its drilled in the bottom and the rigid tube is "plumbed" in the is a secondary wider tube place over it, which is slightly longer. You are asking if you do that how does the water get into the inner pipe, as the outer pipe is completely loose, it has a number of V shape nicks on the bottom, so the bottom water column is sucked in the travels vertical up wards to the top, then is taken downwards through the slighly smaller tube to a trickle filter, or in you case the wet bio filter, this can be further modified so that the outer pipe known in aquaculture circles as "the sleeve" as a very thin vertical cut from the top down a couple of inches, so any oil film is skimmed of, roughly 2% of the water is skimmed and 98% is pulled from the bottom.

This simple design is clever as convenient.

Qes. As the German siphon box is an commercial product does it come with some thing similar as standard, or can you buy it as an accessory?

Other wise its pulling water from the tank to the sump from the highest part of the water column which is not correctamente. :roll:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 13:13 #8 by russell (russell)
Jack my friend'
your comments get nicer every day.you spotted my reflection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciated your point and very valid.
But no inlet strainer will pull detrius from the other side of the tank, it relies on current to push the debri towards it.
If you position say a power head on a gentle flow you can direct is slightly downwards so it has a sweeping motion towards the strainer.
Did you notice the green pipe at the back of the main tank in one of my piccy's?? This is the outlet from an eheim canister angled down so the water gently bounces of the bed onto the back glass and is pushed very gently towards the opposite end of the tank where there is the inlet strainer on the gravel bed.
You have to get up early to catch me out matey!!!!!!
The oulet from the sump is positioned 1 third of the way across the tank and central, the outfall drops down onto the bogwood column making the flow like an inverted V.
Getting confused??will put a pic up

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2007 13:40 #9 by russell (russell)
[img][img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/russellie/tankflowchart.jpg[/img]
here you go Jack clear as mud!!!!!!!!!
I can assure you the flow is very gentle but efficient[/img]
The central outlet from sump falls onto bogwood creating an inverted V effect

More
09 Feb 2007 04:06 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: SUMPS
Yes, I can see that works, I guess for a marine invert tank with a lot of rocks they would need that churn any way to whisk the dirt off the bottom, and they would need the high current flow to.

As its pointing to the left it would "up surge" dirt to the top left with would pick up in the top water column (back left)....thats good!

That a lot of filtration (classic eheim canister filter......and the sump with eheim pump, etc, etc )and movement for water discus:!: dont you think :?: , in a spartan decorated tank the water current would be quite a lot, unless you turn ed down the pump, but then it would not churn up the bottom, especially on the right hand side of the tank.

The main sump pump returns the water behind the thermometer, but as its not touching the water surface, (rightly so, to stop siphon when electric goes off) one would see evidence of the water returning, (round smooth spot) instead of a "flat surface area between the thermometer and the siphon box area?

The photo literrally answers my answers in a costume made fashion.

keep up the good work/posting, there loving it, new blood always means fresh approach to post!!!!!!!!!!

Always rember the famous words a filter is as clever as convient!

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2007 06:03 #11 by russell (russell)
[img][img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/russellie/sumoflow.jpg[/img]
The heavy line denotes a small compartment midway across the width of the tank.
The water flows through a trough. small line showing flow and drops own into the compartment.
Next it flows into the main water column flowing over and round the heaters.
The return pump is set well back as you can proboably see, it has a polyfilter on.and is the other side of the glass partition.
The difference between the tank & sump is 0.6.
The outfall seems fine although it may look fast in fact the turbulence is broken by the cascade being evenly dispersed by the stratigic positioning of the bogwood.
If you have seen the pic of the Cardinals and Rams you will see this better.
Also the Discus spend about half the time in this area and usualy only go to the right corner for feeding. other times they just spend forraging all over the tank.
I have thought about getting a 4 foot length of Eheim rigid pipe and cutting say 1 eighth grove through it so gives the same output but makes the cascade more even. spray bars restrict volume. any thoughts????

[/img]

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds