Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Screwing bogwood

More
02 May 2010 23:34 #1 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Would it be ok to screw two bit's of bogwood with decking screws?
Don't think they rust!

Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2010 23:43 #2 by Gerry The Chip (Gerard)
Hey mate i screwed some lead to my large piece of bog wood before becasuse it wouldnt sink then removed it after about 2 weeks, Id say you'd be fine with the decking screws;)
Gerry

More
03 May 2010 00:54 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
You could screw them together but make sure you pre drill before you try put a screw in. Most bog wood is hard so just trying to drive a screw through them will either split the wood or the screw may not screw in to the wood.
If you can get stainless steel screws, they would be better.
If you use decking screws try cover the head of them with aquarium safe silicone. It will stop any leaching from the screw in to the water and stop the screw rusting away.

Alternatively you could use cable ties, non biodegradable tread, fishing line etc to fix them together.
If you need to hide the area were the wood has been joined just tie on some moss. It will soon hide everything.

More
03 May 2010 12:08 #4 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
i'll get some stainless screws so thanks lads:) Mark

More
03 May 2010 12:12 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Screwing bogwood
Mark,
I think I saw Stainless Steel screws in B&Q fairly recently - might be worth looking there if you're in the vicinity of one of their stores.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 May 2010 12:17 #6 by dar (darren curry)
wat about a few dowels?

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
04 May 2010 00:29 #7 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Cheers John i'll try B&Q. Darren i dont know about dowels i think the screw would be the quickest way to do it..

Thanks for the replys lads

Mark

More
09 May 2010 10:45 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Screwing bogwood
As a postscript Lidl have Stainless Steel screws for sale on Thursday:

www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.201005...ainless_Steel_Screws

Not especially cheap if you only needed a few, but worth considering.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds