Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Simple PC Cooling Fans

More
28 May 2010 19:12 - 28 May 2010 19:13 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Ok...This little project was put together primarily to alleviate a cooling problem regarding the Power Compact tubes in my aquarium canopy. I purchased a small 12v ac/dc transformer and 2x60mm pC cooling fans. (wanted to put three in there but the shop only had two in stock unless I wanted another one with flashing LED's.....not) I wish I could have got the 80mm fans but there is literally no room unless I drill holes in the canopy and make some sort of conduit vents which I'm not prepared to do at this stage.

Small 12v transformer and fans.

The tools I used to perform the DIY job

The first thing I did was to snip off the coupling at the end of the transformer lead (dont need that)

and attach the wires to a small connector block (Black=Ground......Black with white stripe= Live) remember this its important.

Next I joined the two fans together (Blue=Ground........Red=Live)

The next task was to join the whole thing together and test.

BINGO! it actually works, I couldn't believe how beautifully simple this job was and it couldn't have taken me more than half an hour.

Then I proceeded to fit it inside the canopy as neatly a possible, sure pushed for room I can tell you.

Regards
BigC

PS...This is an old thread I wrote up for another marine based forum, but I'm sure the build can be adopted to suit anyone who is experiencing overheating or the need for heat dissipation with their tanks.
Last edit: 28 May 2010 19:13 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2010 20:49 #2 by gerryberry (Jeff Daly)
Hi Bigc, did you drill holes in the hood to vent the air or are you just circulating the air in the hood.

Jeff

More
28 May 2010 22:19 #3 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Hi lads
NOT A THREAD HIJACK But... Re connector blocks ....just a word of warning...these don't really mix with water...:ohmy: but you can get some really good waterproof alternatives for them.try maplin,farnell or radionics ....if in doubt don't mix electricity and water... Pm me if you need info on these types of connectors
Thanks ....

Lar

Puddlefish....really didn't want to hijack the thread....But better to be safe than sorry....another interesting article (as always)

Lar

More
28 May 2010 22:28 - 28 May 2010 22:30 #4 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
In the interest of safety, don't ever worry about hijacking my threads.
I'm pretty old skool and back in the halcyon days of fishkeeping I've visited many a fish shed, which now days would be condemned by the health and safety dept. Connector blocks and insulation tape was all the rage back then
So by all means please follow Cardinals advice
Regards
C
Last edit: 28 May 2010 22:30 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
28 May 2010 22:31 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
There's at least one of those still in Dublin. Not too far from where I am sitting actually!

Great idea, and a pretty cheap solution too. I think I saw Ianmillichip with PC cooling fans at the herp display on Sunday too.

Daragh

More
28 May 2010 22:39 #6 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)

Hi Bigc, did you drill holes in the hood to vent the air or are you just circulating the air in the hood.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
The back of the hood is pretty much open (pipework entry/exit aperture) so I placed the fans at the front to push the warm air out the back of the canopy

There's at least one of those still in Dublin. Not too far from where I am sitting actually!

You wont be the only one either D
Regards
C

More
29 May 2010 01:44 #7 by Ma (mm mm)
Great idea, uses verry little power. Can't be too much juice comin from the controller box for those fans?

Mark

Location D.11

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds