Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

first attempt at a 3d background

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2011 11:42 #31 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: first attempt at a 3d background
Good on ya, must have been a bugger to keep from floating.

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2011 12:00 #32 by alan.s (alan)
Na just used plenty of silicone :)

More
27 Jan 2011 13:14 #33 by joe10 (joe nolan)
fairplay it looks great, i wonder would it be safe for use in a marine tank?

More
27 Jan 2011 15:24 #34 by alan.s (alan)
That I don't know, can't see why not most aquairums use concrete in there tanks .

More
31 Jan 2011 10:45 #35 by minterno (noel)
turned out very nice,got me thinking now

More
05 Feb 2011 17:42 #36 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
That is seriously impressive...and actually if I was to do something like that it might solve a current problem I'm having with the positioning of an internal filter....

Alan what should I look for to find a fish friendly glue? for sticking all the pieces of aeroboard together...was it just the cement that you painted on that kept it from floating?

Cheers,
Neil

More
05 Feb 2011 23:55 #37 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Hi alan.s, great looking background. I want to do one myself and have everythin I need apart from the sealer. Just wanted to know if you used a sealer.

Thanks
John.

More
06 Feb 2011 19:42 #38 by rosscwilliams (Ross Williams)
looks sweet mate really makes the tank, did u silicone it to the back and bottom to stop it foalting or did the cement add enough weight

More
06 Feb 2011 20:12 #39 by Ieva star (Ieva Fogta)
Alan now thats class well done cheers Johney

More
07 Feb 2011 12:07 #40 by alan.s (alan)
hey lads sorry it took me so long to get back to ye. yea i used silicone on the back and sides to keep it down also its a snug fit which helps. Ge1 clear silicone. don't use the ones with bioseal. most of them will say if they are fish friendly. the cement is just quick setting. its a small tub you could pick up in most hardware's. if your fitting in a filter make sure to have your measurements correct for feed holes and delivery. :)

More
17 Mar 2011 18:55 #41 by jwm (sean sean)
What cement did ya use cheers

and finally 3 layers of cement painted on. first 2 coats very watery to fill the gaps, last one fairy heavy. also put a thin layer on when fitted to tank to seal up the split.when dry the tank must be filled soaked and emptied numerous times to take out harmful toxins from cement. i did it about 15 times and keep checking water.

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds