Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

3d background

More
12 Feb 2011 18:43 #1 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Hi there, can anyone help me find something to seal my 3d background. I have everything done but just need to seal it before i silicone it to the glass of my tank. i need something thats fish frendly. Can anyone please help me.

Thanks, John

P.S. im living in offaly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2011 16:43 #2 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Gonna be hard enough to buy in Ireland in a small quantity. I sealed my background with G4 Pond Seal that I bought online. The postage is almost as much as the product, but still cheaper than buying the big container that you (might) find here. There are plenty of places in Britain you could get it from, so just throw in a google search.
Word of warning- make sure you order it in clear finish. I almost made the mistake of ordering blue when not paying attention! :blush: Also, ensure that it's not going straight onto any polystyrene. There were some tiny gaps in my concrete and it ate straight through the polystyrene.
Hope that helps,
L
PS: Use in VERY well ventilated room and use a mask. :sick: It is very potent until it dries, at which point it's perfectly safe for noses and fishies!

• wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 16:58 #3 by wolfsburg (wolfsburg)
Replied by wolfsburg (wolfsburg) on topic Re: 3d background
The smallest amount of G4 pond sealer you can buy is 500g. Use 500g for 3 coats of an area just under one square meter. Any of the sponsors are able to get it in for you.

More
13 Feb 2011 17:16 #4 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Thanks for your replys guys. I just taught it would be handyer to get hold of. I was out in Aquatic Village yesterday talking to Ian and he said he can order it in for me. They have it there but its 5 litre, I only need 1 litre. I'll just have to get them to order it for me.

Cheers, john:)

More
05 Mar 2011 22:04 #5 by johnportman (John Clarke)
.Hi guys, finally got my background finished, it took me 4 weeks to finish it. 3 weeks longer than I taught :laugh: . It was hard to do cause I had my fish in a 35 litre tank and there not used to a tank that size but there going fine, I just have to wait a few more day for the tank to cycle and all the parameters are fine.

Thanks for your replys for the help that I needed.
Cheers john.

More
05 Mar 2011 23:41 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

More
06 Mar 2011 12:34 - 06 Mar 2011 12:39 #7 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Here are some pictures of my 3d background....
Last edit: 06 Mar 2011 12:39 by johnportman (John Clarke).

More
06 Mar 2011 12:39 #8 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Here are some pictures of my 3d background....

More
06 Mar 2011 16:34 #9 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
I can't make out those photos. Is it my computer or is anyone esle having the same problem?
L

More
06 Mar 2011 17:45 #10 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Seems to be a problem with the forum software. Won't allow right-click to open, just opaques the screen without showing the picture. It's annoying.

More
06 Mar 2011 22:16 #11 by alan.s (alan)
Replied by alan.s (alan) on topic Re: 3d background
Nice job man looks great!
Al

More
06 Mar 2011 22:21 - 06 Mar 2011 22:22 #12 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Looks awesome john cheers for sticking up the pic's

Mark
Last edit: 06 Mar 2011 22:22 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
07 Mar 2011 20:40 #13 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
That's a very nice job. Did you hide all the filter pipes etc behind it? Just make sure the outlet can still give good circulation- someone I know (me! :whistle: ) had to make serious alterations when he (I) forgot this little matter!

Did you glue it in place? Where did you end up getting the sealant?

Anywho, fair play, looks really good. Are the shelves going to be planted? Might look really nice if suitable fish are in it. Might look really nice with some mosses growing over the sides of them once they take hold.

L

More
07 Mar 2011 21:54 #14 by johnportman (John Clarke)
I'm just hoping the circulation will be ok, if not i'm f***ed. I'd have so fix it. I have the heater and pipes behind it, the spray is on the top left but you prob cant see it. I stuck it to the glass with tec 7, its a strong silicone. I ended up gettin the sealer in aquatic village. I'll try get some moss for the ledges, I dont really know where i'd get it.

More
07 Mar 2011 22:02 #15 by bull (keith madden)
Well done mate really looks well.

More
08 Mar 2011 00:29 #16 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
That should be grand- the spray bar going into the main body of the tank will keep a nice circulation I reckon.

You should be able to get suitable plants from any LFS. Any plant or moss that will take hold to bog wood should do nicely on your ledges too. Just hold it on with some fishing line for a few weeks first. Java Moss etc would do well, but some of the lads on here with more experience than me will be able to throw up a few better suggestions.

Well done again,

L

More
20 Mar 2011 19:28 #17 by johnportman (John Clarke)

hi folks, this is my tank now after i put the background in.I'm trying to grow a few plants in it now, some java moss on the walls, to break it up a bit.
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2011 17:24 #18 by jwm (sean sean)
Replied by jwm (sean sean) on topic Re: 3d background
Nice job. I'm doin one on a 4ft tank have it cut out. 2 questions what cement did ya use and silicone.
Cheers

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
21 Mar 2011 17:57 #19 by johnportman (John Clarke)
I just used a small bag of quick set cement and silicone called tec7. You can get them in any woodies.

More
21 Mar 2011 21:38 #20 by jwm (sean sean)
Replied by jwm (sean sean) on topic Re: 3d background
Cheers mate. Wasn't sure of the cement. Ill stick a pic up when i done, ya can claim some credit..

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
21 Mar 2011 22:07 #21 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Not at all mate, you'll be doin all the hard work. Im sure it will look well when its finished.
Post some pictures of your progress.

John

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds