Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Slate cave tips ?

More
24 Apr 2011 12:51 #1 by alan.s (alan)
Hi guys.
Found two old slate roof tiles while out walking and was thinking of making them into a slate cave. Has anybody done this before that could give me some tips? Had a quick look on line for ideas as to shape etc but nothing jumping out at me.
Cheers Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2011 13:01 #2 by dyco619 (steve carmody)
i dont know what type or size you were thinking of making,
but heres one i remember seeing on youtube, i thought was pretty cool..

More
24 Apr 2011 13:55 #3 by alan.s (alan)
Replied by alan.s (alan) on topic Re: Slate cave tips ?
Yea I was looking at that it is pretty cool. Iv only two slates so wouldn't be too big. Thanks :)

More
28 Jan 2012 10:47 #4 by negudras (Mantas Valuzis)
how do you stick them together?

More
28 Jan 2012 12:52 #5 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Would slate be ok to put in your tank? or does it fall into the (do not put objects you find into your tank)catagory?

Cheers stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
28 Jan 2012 13:46 - 28 Jan 2012 13:48 #6 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Iv had slate in tanks for years with no problems
But the old stuff I'm not sure about the new shiny slate? Wouldn't use it myself..

Mark
Last edit: 28 Jan 2012 13:48 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill).

More
02 Feb 2012 20:18 #7 by negudras (Mantas Valuzis)
what do you think of that lads?

still have to stick it together, anyone knows how long that HARU stuff dries?
Attachments:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2012 20:36 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Slate cave tips ?
Slate is safe, it is just homogeneous metamorphic rock, simply put, a combination of ash and Clay, formed as a result of huge pressure and moderate Heat, it splits or cleaves readily as it is formed by layer upon layer forming the main "Rock" I used to use it in Landscaping as a Mulch or Paving but used as paving it tends to split due to moisture freezing and splitting it. I'd advise buying it from a Retailer, Bangor Blue Slate is one of the best.

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds