Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

superglue? safe?

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • paul .... (paul ....)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 18:41 #1 by paul .... (paul ....)
superglue? safe? was created by paul .... (paul ....)
Just curious lads is this the safe brand of superglue for a aquarium?

(LOCTITE SUPERGLUE GEL CONTROL)
All comments greatly welcome?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2011 19:26 #2 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
if it doesn't say it on the tube then it probably is not suitable. what did you want to do? i have a small amount of aquarium mastic which you can have. pm me.
phil

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 19:50 #3 by paul .... (paul ....)
Replied by paul .... (paul ....) on topic Re: superglue? safe?
Hey phill its kinda complicated im haveing problems with micro bubbles in my v2 skimmer and the way the skimmer is its impossible to put a bubble trap onto it or sit filter floss in front of it because its just a grill on the front of the skimmer as apposed to a outflow pipe! so iv made my own little bubble trap out of superglue and iv heard of quite a few people useing it and its fine as long as its the brand "superglue" but i just want to be as sure as possible before putting it in my tank as its a marine setup and the rock alone is worth a fortune :woohoo: Now theres nothing written on the tube what so ever just instructions refering you to information card that came with it :laugh: of course god only knows were this card is:laugh: curious mate were you based?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 20:05 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: superglue? safe?
Afaik Superglue is perfectly safe as long as it IS NOT ! the Gel type.

Kev.

More
19 May 2011 20:21 #5 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
SuperGlu proper, as in CA adhesives in superglu, show not toxicity once set....and setting in water is almost instant. The toxic ones, or ones of dubious toxicity, are probably not in the proper superglues.

But, it is when there are various additives added that there could be questions.....in the gel type, I'm not too sure what is in the gel versions.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 20:34 #6 by paul .... (paul ....)
Cheers for all the replys lads :cheer: i take it nobodys a 100% sure the tube i have is safe?? I think i might email them

More
19 May 2011 21:06 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Cheers for all the replys lads :cheer: i take it nobodys a 100% sure the tube i have is safe?? I think i might email them

If you get the material data sheet, then let us have a goo at it.

More
19 May 2011 21:10 #8 by pkearney (Phil Kearney)
im in glasnevin paul.
phil

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 21:12 #9 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re: superglue? safe?
probably stupid question here but would it be possible for the salt in the water to react with ingredients from glue and cause problems
john

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 21:22 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: superglue? safe?
By all accounts and anecdotal evidence the only SuperGlue noted as no no in a Tank is Gel types because of the additives, medics etc use it ( SuperGlue proper )in place of stitches because it is safe but those cheap Euro store types, I would most definitely steer clear of.

Kev.

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 21:33 #11 by paul .... (paul ....)
Cheers lads ian i willl definitely ask for that information in my reply to there email! Pkearney cheers for the offer bud im only in swords so might take you up on that ;) stretnik :laugh: you have me at some what of a loss as iv heard its only the gel types that can be used :( :laugh: Again cheers lads for the replys ill let people know the reply i get in the morning ;)

More
19 May 2011 21:46 #12 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I see that the gel apparently contains boron trifluoride (that needs to be confirmed)......I don't know of any proven ecological hazard, but boron trifluoride is one of the most hazardous toxic compounds to humans.

However....as everything known is toxic, and it is only the dose that makes it a poison or not then it depends on how much is in the tube. I would assume that the main danger in its use in a product is in the large scale usage (or manufacture).
I don't know specifically about this particular gel product.

The non-gel does not contain this additive as far as I can see; but the professional loctite superglue should be avoided anyway from dot as it contains hazards other than the 'superglue' (ethyl CA).

ian

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2011 21:54 #13 by paul .... (paul ....)
Cheers man ;) I think i might just stay safe and use the stuff with the fish logo :laugh: but either way lads ill let you know the response i get from these guys ;) Ian thanks very much for takeing the time to look into this for me ;)

• paul .... (paul ....)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 May 2011 09:36 #14 by paul .... (paul ....)
Manufactures reply :

Thank you for your recent e.mail concerning the above.

We do not recommend the use of this product in an application where it will be immersed as the adhesive will gradually break down in water.

Simple answer for myself although ian had already convinced me to stay away from it i just thought id share there reply ;)

More
25 Sep 2011 01:41 #15 by springbok (Pierre)
Cyanoacrylate is the chemical you are looking for. i have used superglue on allot of things in my tank with no problems.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds