Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

WHY!!!

More
05 Aug 2011 19:00 #1 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Hi folks
I'm not keeping malawi cichlids that long but the last 3 days i've noticed some of them are rubbing themselfs off the sand.
They all look healthy and there eating and drinking (lol) fine.
I've checked the water and everything is ok.
I do 25% w/c every week.

Cheers, John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2011 19:04 - 05 Aug 2011 19:05 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
possibly the gills are irratated is the sand too fine, is there some fine particles in the water column, otherwise potentially a gill infection

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 05 Aug 2011 19:05 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: spelling

More
05 Aug 2011 19:40 #3 by johnportman (John Clarke)
I'm using crushed and coral sand as a substrate.

More
05 Aug 2011 20:54 #4 by Goldenguns (Darren pierce)
Wouldn worry about it have been keeping same fish fir over 15 years mine have always done it

More
05 Aug 2011 21:04 #5 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Replied by mickdeja (Mick Whelan) on topic Re: WHY!!!
All my malawis do this now and again. When i introduced some wilds into the tank they were all at it and used a gill fluke treatment and they were fine. Just keep an eye on it as long as it happens only everty so often its normal.

Follow me up to Carlow

More
05 Aug 2011 21:23 #6 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Thanks for the reply lads.
My fear is it was something like ich.

More
05 Aug 2011 22:47 #7 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: WHY!!!
very unlikely to get ich on malawis..(not impossible though) of all the the fish I've kept down through the years they are the most likely to have a good "scratch" like a dog :silly: .either off a rock or the substrate.Usually it's nothing to worry about.keep any eye on them and if you can visualy spot anything then it's time to worry/medicate.

dont make me come over there.

More
05 Aug 2011 23:24 #8 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Thanks Gavin.
I have 2 rock works, 1 either side of the tank and its just open in the centre of the tank.
Thats where the rubbing is goin on.
Hopefully its nothin serious.

John

More
06 Aug 2011 03:47 - 06 Aug 2011 03:57 #9 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
if they are looking good and feeding well they should be fine, even with crushed coral some fine dust like particles can be in the water colum and hence iratate their gills hence the flicking, it happens for the day after i do gravel cleans in my tank ( i use fine crushed coral as well) and afterwards their fine , some just do it for the heck of it as said above, but if appetite is affected or there is a fall off in condition treat for gill parasites...

just check you fish for the following
Is there a greyish white film on the fish, or a blue greyish film on the fish.
Is there a gold dusting on the fish or a rusty coloured varnish.
Any excess mucas on the fish body or gills.
Any tiny white spots on the fish, the size of a grain of salt.
Do the gills look red and inflamed, or pale with excess mucas.
Do the fish swim in a jerky movement.
Any signs of darting, erratic swimming, laboured breathing or gasping at surface of tank.
Any red pin pricks marks on the fish or red sores.
Get a magnifying glass and take a closer look at the fish for parasites. Also check that scales are not lifting

any of the above could suggest a problem with the fish, if none of the above are present your fish should be ok

also what are your water perameters things like a change in ph, excess in nitrites /nitrates ammonia etc can cause this as well, does this happen generally after a water change the change in the above values may also cause flicking or as said above the addition of freshwater into the tank may stir up the fine particles of sand and cause the flicking...

ok exhausted my ideas now

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 06 Aug 2011 03:57 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: adding more

More
06 Aug 2011 21:40 #10 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
Replied by ceech (Desmond Gaynor) on topic Re: WHY!!!
sheag 35 is on the money with his points.My malawi also do this from time to time.In my opion if the fish look healthy and have good colours and are eating well its nothing to worry about.I dont like to medicate unless i really have to :crazy:

More
06 Aug 2011 22:26 #11 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Thanks for the replys guys.
My cichlids look healthy, there only juvies but there flying around the tank.
Wild caught synos cats are great.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds