Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cichlids holding

More
11 Oct 2011 17:47 #1 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Hi folks. Yesterday I noticed 2 of my cichlids holding.
Would it be best to move them to another tank with the males or just the females by them selfs.

Cheers, john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2011 18:57 - 11 Oct 2011 18:57 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
That is a tough thing .
Catching them may stress them out causing them to swallow the eggs or fry depending at what stage they are .
They could even just spit them out.If moving only move the females and have a separator in the tank.The famales will do all the work and care for the fry then you can remove them after a while.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2011 18:57 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor).

More
11 Oct 2011 19:16 #3 by johnportman (John Clarke)
I was thinking that myself. I had 2 white tail acei holding and just left them in the tank cause I didn't want them to swallow or spit.
But there not holding now and I cant see any fry in the tank, the other fish could of eat them.
I might try catch them the weekend and move them to another tank.
If I cant catch them after a few minutes, i'll leave them where they are.

More
11 Oct 2011 21:05 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
I would take all decor out and then try ;-)
Depending on how long and how black the spot under there mouth is ya could catch and strip them if ya really want to save the fry and put in a breeder in your main tank for a week or so then move to there own tank.
Some dont like this but i have done it with more sucess in my big tank as the fry are usually snapped up.
Good luck ;-)

More
12 Oct 2011 01:27 #5 by zappalot000 (chris)
the Coke bottle trap is worth a try i think. Even thought holding females don't feed, they are still curious
enough to get trapped.

More
12 Oct 2011 09:12 #6 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

As you can see, my setup has a lot of rock. I tried to catch holding females but it just proved impossible, so I let nature take its course. I know that my survival rates are'nt that high, bit I feel that any fry that do survive will be stronger (survival of the fittest and all that). I hhave a couple of small rockpiles where fry can fond sanctuary and it seems to work. I have a nice mix of adults and juveniles. I tried the coke bottle trap but every fish bar the one I wanted seemed to get caught. Females become extremely cautious when holding. :)

More
12 Oct 2011 11:25 #7 by johnportman (John Clarke)
Love the rock work Christy.
I think I'll do what you said, I have a load of rocks in my tank so there is plenty of hiding places for the fry.
The taughts of taking it all out is killing me.

Thanks lads.
John

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds