Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ID of fish please

More
25 Feb 2013 20:23 #1 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
hi I got this fish same time as the electric blue jack d
the jack d seems very calm, he has a few times been taking ownership of a rock but this yellow lad just
seems too hyper, going into the place were the jack d is and running him out.
then when he is out in the open the yellow lad will come over and loop around the jack d,
I am wondering are they OK together,
the yellow lad doens't seem to bother anyone else in the tank
cheers

pics
i49.tinypic.com/2a78sjb.jpg
i47.tinypic.com/11m733p.jpg
i48.tinypic.com/euk8yp.jpg
i49.tinypic.com/otn7lz.jpg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2013 22:03 #2 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
It looks to me like a p saulosi female. But being honest i am not 100% sure.Has some looks of a tropus but never seen one that colour could possibly be a hybred.
No matter what it is when your jack d grows up you can say god bye to all the fish in that tank he will be the boss and kill the lots if he gets half a chance.Whats the ph level in your tank it look like a tanginikan setup you have which may not suit the jack d , but he looks beautiful i must say.

More
25 Feb 2013 22:34 - 25 Feb 2013 22:34 #3 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
the ph level is 8.2 at the moment, I think I should bring it up a little bit.
I just don't think the jack d feels "at home" fair enough its only his 3rd night in the tank, he seems to only come out of the rocks at night when the ligth thas been on a few hours, goes to the glass and like he wants to swim away/out!
very pickey on eating, doesn't seem to catch or be quick enough for the food. he seems quite taim and not aggressive
even the 1" fish seem to torment him! he it 3" in size, is it a matter of when he will kill the other fish, he will not get along?
most of the fish are mawali,
btw if you'd like to see most/all of the fish check my topic in the welcome forum.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 22:34 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!).

More
25 Feb 2013 23:58 #4 by ceech (Desmond Gaynor)
You see the jack d is a south american fish and used to a different ph level so i don't think he will be very happy if you raised the ph further.He should have a ph range of 6 to 7.The reason he comes out at night is because he is a predatory fish and don't worry when he figures out he is bigger he will be the boss believe me.I would think that your ph is stressing him now though.Another thing about any cichlids is if they have already had there own territories in your tank they will protect them.Did you move the rocks and décor around when you added him this could help them all find a new area.What size is your tank?
I am being very honest when i say you should consider getting him his own tank or taking him back because i would not mix him with Malawi fish or Tanzanians.

More
13 Mar 2013 20:25 #5 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
getting back to you ceech, i gave the fish to a friend, he had another jd.. !

More
13 Mar 2013 21:18 #6 by m_sb (Zac)
Replied by m_sb (Zac) on topic ID of fish please
its look like my saulosi male so if you have female are you selling it?

More
17 Mar 2013 14:39 #7 by lenny (Sean is playing poker!)
Sorry about getting back to you know.
I had given it to someone that I knew from year back.. he had an EBJD. he joined it with his tank and they would not bond.
So he then gave it to someone else who had a couple of EBJD and breeds them.. no longer in my hands!
Sorry, it just wasn't a good environment for the fish..

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds