Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Advice with Lab cichlids

More
21 Mar 2013 12:15 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
My labs have become aggressive,the big male has being nipping at the smaller lab i think its a female but not sure should i bring the male to the lfc and ask for a swap on a smaller lab or what is the best thing to do with him. I only have a 100L tank so i was thinking of just keeping small cichlids and moving them on as they get bigger. I am keeping a look out for a bigger tank. but i wont be getting one till i have my project finished with my pond.

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2013 16:34 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
How many fish are in the tank?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Mar 2013 16:53 - 21 Mar 2013 17:20 #3 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
100 litres is really too small for mbuna, double that would be condsidered the very minimum even for the more peaceful ones like labs
Last edit: 21 Mar 2013 17:20 by christyg (Chris Geraghty).

More
21 Mar 2013 16:54 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

How many fish are in the tank?

6 one large lab and the rest of the cichlids are small to medium. its only the two yellow labs that i have a problem with. There is plenty of hiding space but there only in the tank since yesterday.

More
21 Mar 2013 17:03 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Sounds like they are establishing a pecking order......
My green terror and jack d do e the same when they where introduced to their new tank.....
Everyone has settled in now and aggression has vastly reduced!
There's still the odd chase and very odd nip, but it took a good 36hours to settle properly

More
22 Mar 2013 16:03 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
another 6 next week and everything will be grand, just keep up with the water changes each week

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
22 Mar 2013 17:13 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

another 6 next week and everything will be grand, just keep up with the water changes each week

:woohoo:
I have a spare tank now so the goldfish might get moved that will leave me with a 120 ltr tank and a bit more space, they settled last night and all seem to have there spot. The small yellow lab got attacked in the lfs and his top fins got nipped quite a few times will they grow back quick or do i need to do anything ?

More
22 Mar 2013 18:18 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
theirs always going to be a scrap somewhere along the line when the fins get a bad time i use melafix to speed it up

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
22 Mar 2013 18:53 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

theirs always going to be a scrap somewhere along the line when the fins get a bad time i use melafix to speed it up

Can that be put straight into the tank with all the fish ?
Can anyone tell me whats the best way to do a water change ?
I use a bucket and add water conditioner can i use a hose pipe straight from the tap to the tank and add the
water conditioner into the tank instead it save going with buckets of water and there would be less mess with water.

More
22 Mar 2013 23:18 - 22 Mar 2013 23:19 #10 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I'm using 2x 20litre drums, I add the dechlorinator and stress coat to them then pump the water in slowly to avoid stirring up too much sh1t or debris..... (odviously I Hoover as much of this out as I can before hand)
I normally drop a heater into the drums to bring them up to temperature before I add it back in!
Try make sure water is within 2 degrees of aquarium before adding so as not to shock fish too much

Melafix can be added direct to tank, make sure not to exceed recommended dosage tho
Last edit: 22 Mar 2013 23:19 by hammie (Neil Hammerton).

More
23 Mar 2013 12:11 #11 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

I'm using 2x 20litre drums, I add the dechlorinator and stress coat to them then pump the water in slowly to avoid stirring up too much sh1t or debris..... (odviously I Hoover as much of this out as I can before hand)
I normally drop a heater into the drums to bring them up to temperature before I add it back in!
Try make sure water is within 2 degrees of aquarium before adding so as not to shock fish too much

Melafix can be added direct to tank, make sure not to exceed recommended dosage tho

Thats how i do i too i have a bin marked with with 20ltrs and 40ltrs for different tanks and i use a big gravel cleaner to take out the water and a small one that fits into the drums and i have the flow going into the tank slow so no mess and less stress
I heat my salt water with a heater but the fresh water is done quicker with a few kettles and that way you get a cup of tea while your waiting on the second one :)when the water is a little bit hotter than tank i add prime to drums and close shake shake shake leave for 20 mins shake and into the tank threw the small slow gravel cleaner (i find the gravel cleaner easier to use no mouth around dirty hose and i can control the flow)
oh and their is never a mess

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds