Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pelvicachromis subocellatus "Matadi" pairing off

More
10 Aug 2013 09:53 - 10 Aug 2013 09:54 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Well, I definitely have a breeding pair of Matadis! Since I put 3 of them in their new home about 3 weeks ago, one of the female was rejected outright within a day and the other female has been playing hard to get/see/find with the male since. Not running in fear of her life and virtue, but just generally staying out of his way. However, last night when I came home she was showing colours like in the photo below (got this from Google, it's not mine but I'll try and get a photo later). She's still toying with him, the b!+£c, but he at least knows he's gonna get some!

The colours a female Matadi gets when she's ready for action!
Cos frilly knickers would just look silly on a fish... :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 09:54 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2013 11:18 #2 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)

More
10 Aug 2013 19:01 #3 by des (des)
Nice One Johnny, fair play to Ya Man !!!
They are a stunning Fish...
I think the matadi are the nicest of the Pelvicachromis, the Females are absolute stunners, cracking colours, They almost remind Me a bit of the N. transvestitus Females without the stripes...
I'm grad They've settled in for Ya, I look forward to future post on Them regarding Their Breeding etc. etc.

Des

More
10 Aug 2013 21:46 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
cheers des. none of the photos I've seen truly do them justice. one thing I never realised it that apart from the yellow and black markings, her dorsal fin literally goes golden; not a golden yellow, it actually goes glittering gold. watch the clip below and about 55 seconds in she turns suddenly and the light catches it

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 Aug 2013 22:05 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
well done mate stunning fish and wow that fin really does catch the light

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
12 Sep 2013 19:23 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
About 10 days our so ago my female Matadi started occupying the terracotta breeding cave religiously and today I know why (well, I knew already but had it confirmed). She's now out and about with all, wait for it... 7 of them :huh:

More
12 Sep 2013 21:53 #7 by JohnH (John)
Great news LJ, good wishes for the continued success of the fry.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
12 Sep 2013 22:16 #8 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
That went quick, congrats!

I would imagine that there will be a queue for these ones.

Andreas

More
13 Sep 2013 01:09 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks. I'm not too fussed about the low numbers, I'm just glad I have a breeding pair. It never fails to impress me how well developed 'Kribensis' fry are when they finally come out of hiding

More
13 Sep 2013 07:13 #10 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Well done horse!
Cracking fish!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
14 Sep 2013 00:26 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i may have done my fish a disservice. it's not 7 fry... it's 8... :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds