Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

african cichlids in a small tank ?

More
16 Sep 2013 16:49 #1 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
is it possible to keep them when young in a 100 litre tank ? if so how many would be possible and fast would they outgrow the tank ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2013 17:52 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
They will grow quicker in a bigger tank but you could keep maybe 4 or 5 small to medium then after a few months move them to a bigger tank. As for fry you can grow them in a 100L tank for 6 months if you look back on my posts
There is lots of info and a 100L tank build

Something fishie going on here

More
16 Sep 2013 18:01 #3 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

They will grow quicker in a bigger tank but you could keep maybe 4 or 5 small to medium then after a few months move them to a bigger tank. As for fry you can grow them in a 100L tank for 6 months if you look back on my posts
There is lots of info and a 100L tank build

cool , thanks . Have never kept them and have a 100lit I may set up .. Wouldnt want fry though . Some small ones for a few months could be fun , maybe 5 and some rocks .. Any particular kinds I should look at ? .. I do like the yellow and blues I have seen

More
16 Sep 2013 18:37 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I am not at home now but if u look up the video section here you see my 100L setup I had about 4 cichlids at 4 inch and a few smaller about 1 1/2 inch your better off keeping a few small cichlids the big ones can move rocks and may crack the glass in the tank. Can someone post a link to my post for 100L project

More
16 Sep 2013 18:45 #5 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

I am not at home now but if u look up the video section here you see my 100L setup I had about 4 cichlids at 4 inch and a few smaller about 1 1/2 inch your better off keeping a few small cichlids the big ones can move rocks and may crack the glass in the tank. Can someone post a link to my post for 100L project

is that the Malawi set up with the catfish in it ?

More
16 Sep 2013 19:34 #6 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
For every square foot / 900 square cms of tank surface area, 5 to 6 mbuna can be kept. This figure is designed to keep aggression at bay, and prevent the fish murdering each other.
Many sources state that 4 square feet is the minimum to keep mbuna successfully, but I have seen mbuna kept in 3 square feet.
Lots of rockwork, and I mean lots of rockwork, use big pieces, make plenty of territories and hiding places.
Set the rocks on a gravel tidy or similar, before you add the coral gravel/sand, that will stop them digging under the rocks.
As mbuna are best kept crowded, it is advisable to double up on filtration. And 20% -25% weekly water changes .
With juveniles you can up the number in the tank, but remember that that is only temporary, as they grow much faster than you think. Growth rate depends on feeding, filtration and Waterchanges.

More
16 Sep 2013 21:29 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

as CrustyCrab says lots of rocks for hiding space and double your filter
the tank in the video is 90L and it was ok for a few months once I had enough money I moved up to a 200L the filter in the tank above is for 180L make sure you use egg crate or lots of coral sand the cichlids love to dig and you don't want a cracked tank

More
16 Sep 2013 21:35 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
my setup for 90L - 100L tank
hope this helps

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...h-photos-new-project

More
17 Sep 2013 07:55 #9 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
thanks guys .. however looking into this a bit I think it would be too small and become aggressive quickly which I wouldn't like ..

any good 100lit suggestions , dont want rams or angels .. maybe an Asian tank ?

More
17 Sep 2013 10:49 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
it can be done but only for a short term until you get a bigger tank I seen a few from here using a 120L and being successful if you look up my youtube account james feenan you will see all mine from 90L and up next move is 350L
I am also doing a 90L with under gravel filter system I will put up some photos soon

More
17 Sep 2013 11:36 - 17 Sep 2013 11:39 #11 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

it can be done but only for a short term until you get a bigger tank I seen a few from here using a 120L and being successful if you look up my youtube account james feenan you will see all mine from 90L and up next move is 350L
I am also doing a 90L with under gravel filter system I will put up some photos soon

have no interest in getting a bigger tank though and think it would get aggressive quite quickly so i will probably forget it for now
Last edit: 17 Sep 2013 11:39 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath).

More
17 Sep 2013 11:50 #12 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
You could do a shellie tank

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
17 Sep 2013 11:59 #13 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

yeah , have to say I dont find them that interesting really ..

More
17 Sep 2013 12:47 #14 by ger310 (Ger .)

Horses for courses and all that but Shell Dwellers in my opinion are some of the most interesting fish out there.......There character and behaviour is a sight to behold........Fascinating little fish so they are.

In a tank that size Malawi's are probably a no no but there are some smallish Tanganyikan's you could put in there,and if you get the set up right they would thrive.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
17 Sep 2013 12:55 #15 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

smallish Tanganyikan's you could put in there

Ger

what kind you mean ger ?

More
17 Sep 2013 13:19 #16 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
could I do some saulosi ( lovely looking fish ) , if so how many and at what sex ratio ?

many thanks

More
17 Sep 2013 14:02 #17 by Shane (Shane Faulkner)
Shellies are class i have multis very intresting to watch little bulldozers trying to breed them at the min ya should do little research on them see what ya think

More
17 Sep 2013 14:26 #18 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Shellies are class i have multis very intresting to watch little bulldozers trying to breed them at the min ya should do little research on them see what ya think

thanks shane . but I'm just not interested in that type of fish .. was more thinking of the great color the bigger ones have , however it doesnt look possible for a 100lit tank

More
17 Sep 2013 22:35 #19 by ger310 (Ger .)

smallish Tanganyikan's you could put in there

Ger

what kind you mean ger ?

Well I had some species of Julies in mind but if it's the bright lights of Tokyo your after i'd say hang on until you have a bigger tank freed up or bought and go for a mixed Malawi tank,you wont be disappointed :)

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
17 Sep 2013 22:48 #20 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

the bright lights of Tokyo

eye poppin stuff

More
18 Sep 2013 00:26 #21 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
What about Leleupi? They are a really really nice fish and dont grow very big maybe 4" or so. I had these before and they are very active as well. I had a mixture of males and females and there was little to no difference in the bright yellow :)

More
18 Sep 2013 10:53 #22 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

What about Leleupi? They are a really really nice fish and dont grow very big maybe 4" or so. I had these before and they are very active as well. I had a mixture of males and females and there was little to no difference in the bright yellow :)

thanks , but i think I am going to knock the idea on the head .. The tank really is too small it seems , and aint no way my mrs going to allow anything bigger into the house

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds