Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Compete Disaster 20 dead cichlids

More
09 Oct 2013 20:32 #31 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Sometimes all you need is a little victory to make the disaster not quite so bad and make it easier to start again. Delighted to hear that the fry are doing well...

J.

thanks
you wouldn't belive the work i had to keep all these alive i just put up a video in another post.
two different catfish got into the fry net and guppy tank on two different times one time the catfish ended up on the floor of the sitting room lol he was ok and is now in his own tank with some other catfish

Something fishie going on here

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 21:58 #32 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Today was the first time that i built up the courage to go back into the room and do a few small bits with the tank. after the disaster i emptyed all the water out and the very last drop of water was mixed through the sand with a few small puddles to my amazment i seen some movment in one or two puddles and when i took a better look there was about 5 tiny baby fry how these stayed alive is beyond me. They are now all back in the guppy tank and doing great. this cheered me up even though its such a small thing looking forward to getting the tank back up and runnig over the next few weeks.

Delighted for you. As Jasonb said, sometimes it's little victories that stop you throwing in the towel. It'll give the next setup a sense of continuity too

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
10 Oct 2013 05:10 #33 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Have you thought of using an organic aqua startup?

It will get you up and running quickly and safely....

More
10 Oct 2013 05:25 #34 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Have you thought of using an organic aqua startup?

It l get you up and running quickly and safely....

I have nearly sold all my fish so I nearly have three tanks on stand by and ready for cichlids
I will run two filters this time and a double air pump and the plan is another full cycle on the tank
If it takes a few weeks its OK I just want to make sure everything is the way I want it this time round
I will have the right balance with 1 male 3 female last tank was mixed with a few of each and I was not sure
On what I had

More
22 Oct 2013 11:51 #35 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Great news after a hugh amount of help and advice from JohnH on sunday night i now have my tank back up and running with some fish swimming around happy i didn't want to push my luck so its only 2 pleco and 3 catfish.
I will either give away one pleco and catfish to someone here on the form i don't want to have two big poo machines in the tank. My plan is to start looking for a new stock of malawai cichlids so if anyone has some and would like to sell me some just let me know. I love a few breeding cichlids to kick things off.
I would also like to tank JohnH for stocking my 180L tank with Tanganykia cichlids they look great and are doing very well. the other good news is my girlfriend is due our 3rd baby on the day of my birthday 24th april
:) :)

More
22 Oct 2013 11:56 #36 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Easy with your stocking levels.... you will need a new house, extra bedrooms.. :evil:
Congratulations on the happy events James
AND Fair Play to John for helping you out.

More
22 Oct 2013 12:44 #37 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Easy with your stocking levels.... you will need a new house, extra bedrooms.. :evil:
Congratulations on the happy events James
AND Fair Play to John for helping you out.

This will be the last of the kids and i will have to move a fish tank to make room for a new crib :whistle:
i might even be sensible and sell more tanks and just buy one big tank that way everyone will be happy :)
I cant tank John enough not only for the fish but all the advice and chat about fishkeeping. It was great having him over to the house even though i never stopped asking him questions.

More
22 Oct 2013 13:01 #38 by Homer (Kevin)
Very magnanimous of you John, well done.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
22 Oct 2013 13:04 #39 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Very magnanimous of you John, well done.

H.

+1

More
22 Oct 2013 13:35 #40 by JohnH (John)

"...even though i never stopped asking him questions".

Oh yes you did - when you made the tea! :laugh:

Seriously though, it was great to meet you and the family (and the dog) on Sunday.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
22 Oct 2013 14:34 #41 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

"...even though i never stopped asking him questions".

Oh yes you did - when you made the tea! :laugh:

Seriously though, it was great to meet you and the family (and the dog) on Sunday.

John

You are lucky you didn't have a dog going home with you :)
she only gets into the house every now and again she just takes over the hole place :laugh:

More
22 Oct 2013 15:00 #42 by paulv (paul vickers)
Well done john, thats the kinda help one can only get through a great forum like ours :angel:

More
22 Oct 2013 15:04 #43 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Well done john, thats the kinda help one can only get through a great forum like ours :angel:

+1

More
22 Oct 2013 15:46 #44 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

she only gets into the house every now and again she just takes over the hole place :laugh:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm your girlfriend wont like to hear that

More
22 Oct 2013 16:56 #45 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm your girlfriend wont like to hear that

:laugh:

More
22 Oct 2013 19:08 #46 by schnappsmom (Muireasa Harney)
OMG I don't often wander into the tropical area- but your poor fish!!! I don't even own 20 fish so I can't imagine the heart ache! Fair play to you for picking yourself up and going again!

And kudos to JohnH for helping you out...

More
22 Oct 2013 22:37 #47 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have learnt a lot from this disaster and I have truly found out how good nature fish keepers are.
If it wasn't for everyone here I probably wod have pulled the plug on the lot and just go back to messing about with motorbikes and cars.
Hopefully I be able to help others and give the advice when I get some experience under my belt.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds