Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

90L williamisii blue lip chiclids x 5 setup

More
01 Jan 2014 16:22 - 01 Jan 2014 16:52 #1 by Sean M (Sean Myers)
Hi,
Put together quick video using iMovie which came quite handy for this sort of thing but I am having problems uploading so I will put it up shortly, anyway tank is 90 l with internal jbl 50w heater and also a jbl i80 internal filter, I understand that the equip is not entirely sufficient to handle the capacity but seems to have worked fine for the last 6-8 months with no problems in either water quality or loss of life, touch wood.

I recently removed what I believe was a red top afra, pictured above in centre, he was a really nice fish which I previously had in the tank all on his own as he was removed from another tank I have due to problems he was causing as he was incorrectly placed in my tanganyikan tank.
The fish are about 1.5 to 2 inches long, I believe that I have 4 females and one male, I read that the females have the black row of dots as shown below.

They are really starting to colour up in their lips and the male is also showing some nice colours. I really like this species as they are quite lively similar to most mbuna but seem to be also quite unique as I have not seen many before in other Malawi setups, I am hoping to upgrade the tank to a 200l + cApacity and keep other types of mbuna so I will share all along

link for vid:

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 16:52 by Sean M (Sean Myers). Reason: adding link for video

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2014 19:14 #2 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
Hi Sean

You have some problems here.
your 50w heater is too small for your tank and unless it is in a warm room will not stay at a steady temp at night. fluctuations in temp can really stress out fish.
More importantly your tank is miles too small for your fish (or any malawis for that matter) and keeping them in there is going to be detrimental to their health.
These fish grow to 7-8 inches and grow fast.
At 8-12 odd months old they should be around the 3 inch mark and will double again in the next year.
They should have nothing less that a 400l tank

More
02 Jan 2014 21:32 #3 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
Hi sean ,
The blue lips look great , starting to colour up nicely , ur tank looks great ,
Like all of us keepers, its all abt upgrading u won't know urself with with a 200 litre and the plus side is , ur fish will trive with the xtra room,
I keep malawis myself stunning fish

More
02 Jan 2014 22:05 #4 by Sean M (Sean Myers)
Thanks for the info, will shortly be upgrading to a 200l tank so hopefully this will allow them to become the fish they should be, will keep posted on the new setup

More
02 Jan 2014 23:19 #5 by upthedeise (jp molloy)
A 200l is still way to small.
These fish get very big.

More
04 Jan 2014 09:02 #6 by Sean M (Sean Myers)
I know but unfortunately this is all I can upgrade to for now, hopefully in the future I can get bigger tank

More
08 Jan 2014 23:32 #7 by Jayo1 (Jason Cummins)
Nice set up, due to space & what not we all can't have 400l tanks. I'v 6 full grown malawi in a 4ft tank, doing fine.

More
10 Jan 2014 09:18 #8 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
i have 2 williamisii blue lip's my self, stunning fish, great colours

mine are always digging and moving the sand from one side of the tank right over to the far corner great to watch them at work

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds