Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How many african cichlids keepers out there ?

More
08 Jun 2014 22:14 - 21 Aug 2015 23:05 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I seen this as a topic form 2011 it would be intresting to here what stock you have and how many
african cichlid keepers are on this forum

My list
1 male 3 females Firefish Peacock
2 male orange zebra cichlid

1 male 1 female Flavus

2 male 3 female lellow labs

1 female cynotilapia afra jalo reef
1 male 2 female Pseudotropheus socolofi albino Snowflake
1 female Pseudotropheus sp. Elongatus Chewere

Victoria cichlids
1 male 2 female Zebra Obliquidens

pleco L001
1 upside down catfish
1 talking catfish
1 lemmon bristle nose pleco

HAPS:
Copadichromis borleyi , 3 females
Nimbochromis venustus 1 male ,3 female
Steveni Taiwan (Taiwan Reef) female x1
Protomelas taeniolatus male x1
Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus male x1
Clown loaches x2

moved lots of fish since this post so edited with my current stock

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 21 Aug 2015 23:05 by irish-zx10r (James feenan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 09:58 #2 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
My list so far, hoping to upgrade tanks in the next few months and start adding more

Male and female venustus
Cyrtocara morrii
Yellow lab
Male red toon dumbo
Red shoulder peacock
2 fire fish
Yellow tail acei
White tail acei
Demasoni
2 rubans
johanni

2 common pleco
unknow cat fish

More
09 Jun 2014 13:08 #3 by stan (stan)
Had to do a restock of fish after a disaster with an external filter,
Latest list includes
Blue moori 2x males 1 female
Ps flavus 4xmales 1 female (looking to swap some males for female)
Ps demosoni X12 various sizes
Yellow labs X10
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos X3
Metriclima aurora X 2 males 1 female
Red cheek trophos 2 males 1 female
Ps kingsizi 1 male 1 female,
10 or so syndontis petricola and various other similar hybrids
Picked up two bumble bee cichlids yesterday plus a juvenile hongi

would love to get my hands on some labridochromis textillis if anyone has seen or has any for sale

stan

More
10 Jun 2014 12:13 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Stan give me a ring or call to my house here in ballycommon I have female flavus and three other breeding females that might suit u

More
10 Jun 2014 12:58 #5 by stan (stan)

Stan give me a ring or call to my house here in ballycommon I have female flavus and three other breeding females that might suit u

will do james, it'll probably be next week or the week after,
what other females have you got

cheers

stan

More
21 Aug 2015 22:45 #6 by john kelly (John Kelly)
I keep mbuna mostly

Current stock
1 male jalo reef Tb
I pair of breeding yellow tail acei tb
5 zebra gold kawanga 2 male 3 female
1 ob female kawanga
4 Masion reef juv f1
2 Elongatus masimbwe pair f1
1 male cobue tb
1 rusty
1 pleco rusty
2 cat fish
2 hongi Sweden

More
21 Aug 2015 23:02 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I keep mbuna mostly

Current stock
1 male jalo reef Tb
I pair of breeding yellow tail acei tb
5 zebra gold kawanga 2 male 3 female
1 ob female kawanga
4 Masion reef juv f1
2 Elongatus masimbwe pair f1
1 male cobue tb
1 rusty
1 pleco rusty
2 cat fish
2 hongi Sweden

nice selection what size tank i selling some of mine if your interested
to much bother trying to find males to breed with my females

More
22 Aug 2015 08:38 #8 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Some really nice set ups you have there guys! Reminds me time (many years back :laugh: ) when I used to keep African cichlids.

More
22 Aug 2015 10:03 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I certainly dont consider myself an African cichlid keeper as such but i do have a lovely dwarf african butterfly cichlid pair.anomalochromis thomasi. Ive them in my community set up and they are interesting.

More
22 Aug 2015 10:28 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

I certainly dont consider myself an African cichlid keeper as such but i do have a lovely dwarf african butterfly cichlid pair.anomalochromis thomasi. Ive them in my community set up and they are interesting.

at the time of this post i didn't realise there is so many different types of cichlids i love the look of the dwarf cichlids they are probably much easyer to keep

More
22 Aug 2015 11:08 #11 by JohnH (John)

at the time of this post i didn't realise there is so many different types of cichlids i love the look of the dwarf cichlids they are probably much easyer to keep

If you mean Dwarf African Cichlids I'll generalise - 'much easier' - hardly!
If you mean Dwarf S.A. Cichlids - similar reply.

I'll leave it at that, but doubtless we'll get more views?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Aug 2015 12:22 #12 by john kelly (John Kelly)
ive a 400 ltr tank run on two fluval 406 external filters really neeed to upgrade to a fx6 or 2 :silly:

i have not got much more space available tbh as ive another shipmeant of f1 ndonga coming over soon but if depends on if they are shop brought or f1 your trying to get rid of

More
23 Aug 2015 14:12 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

John

Agreed, John.

Dwarf African Cichlids................some of them are some of the toughest ones to keep alive (even if they do arrive at your home alive).
Many are some of the most persistenly aggressive fish that I have ever kept................uber thugs in a small package that make nearly all Malawi and Tanganyikan cichlids look like pussy cats inch-for-inch

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
23 Aug 2015 16:49 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

John

Agreed, John.

Dwarf African Cichlids................some of them are some of the toughest ones to keep alive (even if they do arrive at your home alive).
Many are some of the most persistenly aggressive fish that I have ever kept................uber thugs in a small package that make nearly all Malawi and Tanganyikan cichlids look like pussy cats inch-for-inch

ian

I've heard more than one story about the usually meek and mild kribensis going absolutely tonto and upending the equilibrium of a tank. And I have yet to try keeping tranvestitus... :blink:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
23 Aug 2015 18:16 #15 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Krib are hard work at the best of times,some years ago id a breeding pair and after countless fry i decided some months later to get rid of the kribs to a shop locally...i thought id 8 of them in the tank...but when i went looking id 14 adult kribs!!!They have wonderful colours and show great paternal care.i almost miss them except for their bully ways and ridiculous spawnings!!

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds