Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fr. Jacks own Malawi Aquarium

More
31 Dec 2007 16:07 - 31 Dec 2007 16:08 #1 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I sent a DVD over to a undisclosed location;) in North Dublin a month ago to be up loaded on UTube, as I am still waiting, and who knows it may even be up loaded now on a new forum:laugh: , so instead I have taken photos, I dont mind jokes I deserve it so take a pop.:laugh:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2007 16:08 by Sean (Fr. Jack). Reason: photo twice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2007 16:09 #2 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:10 #3 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:11 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:12 #5 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:13 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:14 #7 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:15 - 31 Dec 2007 16:33 #8 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

The round thing is an one euro coin, stuck with sellotape to give scale to the tank and fishes, plus the fish were bought from a Jewish Aquarius's, and by putting the coin there makes them swim to the front.;) .

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2007 16:33 by Sean (Fr. Jack). Reason: drucken posting

More
31 Dec 2007 16:17 #9 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

Yes you guessed right, I am not using my hand to the make the Malawi shore waves.

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:19 #10 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

The sound of the waves is very relaxing at worked the blue sponge in the weir helps stop the slurping noise, but to work right it needs a value set on 40% restriction.

Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2007 16:23 #11 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Great photos, number 6 is a competition entry for sure.

Are you using a trickle filter on this tank? I keep meaning to ask you about them again, I am interested in trying one on a Bristlenose tank.

More
31 Dec 2007 16:24 #12 by steven (steven)
Looks fantastic Fr Jack how thick is the glass looks like 12mm.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
31 Dec 2007 16:24 - 31 Dec 2007 16:26 #13 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Non of the oxygen that is is used up in a conventional tank comes from the tank water (20% for the fish 80% for the submerged bio filter. AS its the trickle filter method (100% of the O\" for the fish and 1% of the human office air for the filter and 99% of the atmosphere for me, although 10 minutes after feeding their is a sweet smell (pleasant) in the office as the aquatic lung make s an impact on the odor of the office.

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2007 16:26 by Sean (Fr. Jack). Reason: drucken post

More
31 Dec 2007 17:07 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Great photos, number 6 is a competition entry for sure.

Are you using a trickle filter on this tank? I keep meaning to ask you about them again, I am interested in trying one on a Bristlenose tank.

The most interesting photo is the filter below but it keeps saying too big of a file can you up load it? if so email me your address to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and you will get a big file that needs slighly down grading to be posted.

More
31 Dec 2007 18:53 #15 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I am posting this on behalf of Fr Jack:

The red valve is deleiberely tuned to 40% which very very slightly raises the water level just over the weir height this prevents air going down, to the sump and rude noses, the other valve leaving the pump its to reduce the total flow to stop a washing machine episode.

Happy New Year
from Fr Jack

More
31 Dec 2007 22:41 #16 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Good to see you putting up some photos Sean. Happy new year to you.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jan 2008 11:36 #17 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Fr. Jacks own Malawi Aquarium
Nice one Sean. great pics and the water looke Pristine, keep them comming

More
01 Jan 2008 11:37 #18 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Great pics, keep 'em coming.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jan 2008 15:35 #19 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Fr. Jacks own Malawi Aquarium
Lovely tank! I want a big cube like that myself.

Do you feed any particular food to stop the Tropheus from getting bloat? You don't often see such a mix of fish - I've been thinking of adding some of those spotted Tropheus Dubosi to my Malawi tank for a while..

More
01 Jan 2008 19:27 #20 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
2poc wrote:

Lovely tank! I want a big cube like that myself.

Do you feed any particular food to stop the Tropheus from getting bloat? You don't often see such a mix of fish - I've been thinking of adding some of those spotted Tropheus Dubosi to my Malawi tank for a while..

The spotted ones are juvile version of the all black with one whitish or yellowish strip, the spots start as sky blue then go white they they go through a drab stage before reaching the adult marking.

More
02 Jan 2008 10:50 #21 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
steven wrote:

Looks fantastic Fr Jack how thick is the glass looks like 12mm.

Just had time to measure it, the main tank is 10mm glass and 80Cmx80Cmx80Cm and the water is 65CM deep leaving 15Cm jumping distance, there is no lid and the metal haliide lamps are ceiling flush mounted, and the sump is 5mm glass, but made very tall to allow for the the trickle filter and back flow when there is a electric power cut.

The actual tank is been in use for 9 years as a marine fish only tank, but is is only been african for 8 months, there is no nitrates in the tank and as all ways no water changes, the live plants have died out:( . There is a plastic continer with fine west coast florida beach sand (deep) to act as the de nirate filter dropped into the sump, I have only kept aficans for 3 years, and know piddle squat about combatability, although all fish are getting on and the dubosis and arutas are breeding, my back ground is marines anand I have applied it to this fresh water aquarium breaking fresh water rules..

I forgot to say it has a eheim hopper to feed the fish 6 times a day, on dry food and every 2 weeks they get frozen food, to balance the diet.

More
02 Jan 2008 11:52 #22 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
zebadee wrote:

I'm interested to see you keeping Malawi mbuna and Tropheus in the same tank, your food must be relatively low in protien? Have you had any incidents of bloat?

When I was hand fedding all the fish would come up to feed except for the Frontosa, he would stay in med water and acted gerky almost discus like getting thinner, now they are fed exclusively with a food hopper (double comparment type that can be programmed up to 8 times a day) for some unknown reason the frontosa feeds 6 times a day and is not jerky when fed from the hopper, which is mostly filled with 70% green diet and 30% discus small pellets, plus the metal halalide lamp was change form 10,000K to 5,600K to promote the rear and all the rocks to have algea, every couple of weeks they get treated to frozen high protein food (no beaf heart:laugh: ) usually shrimps.

I dont heat the tank, the lights in the shop plus the heat from the HQ light over head keeps the temp 20C from Nov-March, and 23C March to May and October to November, and in the summer with the air con on Monday to Friday it avaeages 26/27C.

No health problems, the arutis smim into the waves all day, the otheres are in different either way.

More
02 Jan 2008 15:31 #23 by zebadee (zebadee)
I'm interested to see you keeping Malawi mbuna and Tropheus in the same tank, your food must be relatively low in protien? Have you had any incidents of bloat?

More
16 Mar 2008 16:40 #24 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
This tank is about a year old, since now fully stocked , the arrutus and T.dubusis are still breeding despite the low temp, no water changes what so ever have been done, out of curiosity I just did a nitrate test it about 90 or may be 100 ppm NO3, what the safe max limit, defined by say too much to tolerate breeding,but just under the toxic level limit where by the NO3 is becoming a stress factor? reason for the post it a good bit a way from a waste pipe and tap so it would take 2 hours plus to do 50% change with buckets..perhaps a lazy question to ask?

More
31 Mar 2008 23:25 #25 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Different fish react to different levels of nitrate so it's hard to say if 100ppm is to high.IMO the fish will still breed untill they reach there stress level but the eggs or fry may not survive. But i think 100ppm will still be fine for them.
I have had water from a malawi tank before with 190ppm and the guys fish were fine.
IME Amano shrimp will die at 150/160ppm and Discus stress at 60-80+ppm.
Try fine tuning your filter to reduce Nitrate.

More
01 Apr 2008 02:51 #26 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Beauty of a tank Jack, interesting mix of Malawi's and Tanganykans, and a nice size on some of them..keep it up

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 Apr 2008 18:51 #27 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

platty252 wrote:

Try fine tuning your filter to reduce Nitrate.

I have a cut down one litre water bottle full of fine sand in the sump acting as a de nitrating filter, but either its does not working or it needs to much larger to have any significant result, probably the bio mass of fish is too large for such a small volume de nitrating chamber, I sound very American they use big words like refrium to impress in stead of sump while I use de nitrating chamber which is really a mineral bottle full of hydrogen sulfide and fine coral sand.:laugh:

Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2008 22:54 #28 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
A quick fix to the nitrate problem and not one i would recomend would be to inject vinegar in to the sand. This would act as a carbon source to boost the bacteria. Nitrates should drop in 2-3 days But this is only prolonging the problem and will drop the ph.
Your best bet is to add another bottle of sand. So off to the beach with ye with your bucket and spade.

You wont have to worry about the smell of rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide) or ammonia now the little one has arrived. It's stinky Nappy's all the way.:laugh:
Congratulations.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds