Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Anyone feed their fish courgette?

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2008 14:33 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
Anyone feed their fish courgette? was created by 2poc (2poc)
Bought some courgette as pleco food & wondered about giving some to the cichlids. Did a quick google to see if its Ok & found this clip:

I'm going to par boil some tonight & see how they get on.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2008 16:29 #2 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Anyone feed their fish courgette?
My africans eat evrything I put ni the tank, even the cucumber and courgette for the plecos.

More
04 Jan 2008 16:46 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I use it all the time for veggie plecs, in perference to cucumber which breakdown too easily. I don't par-boil it at all, but I do peel it as I have heard of fish getting poisioned from they chemicals on the skin.

I don't keep cichlids so I have no idea what they like but from the video I think it is a safe bet that they do.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2008 17:47 #4 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Anyone feed their fish courgette?
Cheers Guys, I must remember to peel it.

I'll give it a go tonight - maybe I'll try some raw & some boiled to see how they like it.

I gave some raw courgette to a starlight bristlenose & clown plec last night & it seemed to go down well. The Otto, Cory nor any of the Tetras in the tank didn't bother with it - I thought the Otto would definitely have had a go.

Cheers,
Patrick.

More
04 Jan 2008 19:21 - 04 Jan 2008 19:24 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I tried courgette and found the opposite to Daragh, it broke down far quicker than the cucumber. I buy organic cucumber and don't bother peeling as I'm assuming they don't use any nasty chemicals on the organic stuff. My plecos love the skin. The Africans are only interested in the soft centre.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2008 19:24 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2008 13:58 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Anyone feed their fish courgette?
Tried boiled Courgette last night.
Some were interested & some werent bothered, certainly not the feeding frenzy I was expecting from the utube clip ;)

The pseudotropheous species seemed most interested, probably because they're able to get a better bite with their little teeth.

More
05 Jan 2008 15:06 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
KenS wrote:

I tried courgette and found the opposite to Daragh, it broke down far quicker than the cucumber. I buy organic cucumber and don't bother peeling as I'm assuming they don't use any nasty chemicals on the organic stuff. My plecos love the skin. The Africans are only interested in the soft centre.

Try a few times some fish take a while to get used to a new food. Also I would still peel an organic courgette, I may be wrong, but as I understand it to get teh organic mark means that chemicals are not used in general but that in certain circumstances certain chemicals are allowed and the product is still considered organic.

I find cucumber must be removed the next day as it will alreadly have gone squishy and messy,b ut a courgette will last a few days and stay in one piece, that's if the fish have left it that long, which is very rare.

More
05 Jan 2008 17:33 #8 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Have to say never used courgette (yet)cucumber is regularly on the menu do i allow it to stay in dank the smaller fish will come in after the bigger ones and clean up do the top choice of the moment is peas and rice blended together.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds