Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Plants and Africans

More
09 Feb 2008 21:09 #1 by Coler (Coler)
Having ditched the fake silk plants, I like the idea of some live plants...more for the beneficial effect on Nitrogen Cycle management than the look to be honest so I'm thinking of 'scaping them mostly in behind the rockwork etc.

What would be good if anything ? I am thinking it will want to be pretty hardy. I don't want to put down a new substrate or anything; can I have some plants in plastic pots kind of thing ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2008 22:58 - 09 Feb 2008 22:59 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
You'll need plants that suit the hard alkaline water. Plants are like fish, they like different types of water. Take a look at www.tropica.com which will list plants and their water requirements. Petstop and Wackers are Tropica stockists.

You'll also need the correct light for plants which will mean having your tank lights on for 8-10 hours per day. If you don't get the balance right, you'll end up with algae.

You may also have problems with your fish eating and digging up the plants. Doesn't always happen, but is a possibility with Malawis.

I prefer to keep to the natural Malawi biotope as much as possible. I us Polyfilter which helps keep nitrates under control. Big water changes also do the trick.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2008 22:59 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

More
10 Feb 2008 16:30 #3 by Coler (Coler)
Thanks for the link Ken.

I do use Polyfilter in both filters - great stuff - and change out 25% water weekly which keeps Nitrate at 10 ppm or below. I still kind of like the idea of some live plants though so I think I'll pop along to Wackers and have a look (always been steered right by Gavin, Eric & cohorts) in the interests of experimenting and educating myself.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds