Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How many fish can you keep in a tank?

More
25 Feb 2008 20:34 #1 by Murphy63 (Dean Murphy)
Started fish keeping few week. How many fish can you keep in a tank before it becomes to populated? Have a 300 litre tank have about 12 malawi at the minute. \friend said i can double that number?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2008 21:16 - 25 Feb 2008 21:18 #2 by Coler (Coler)
I'd agree with your friend, subject to exactly what species (I'm presuming mbuna/aulonocara) and male/female mix of each you are talking about. also subject to your filtration, the tank being cycled for what's in there right now, and you adding fish reasonably slowly (but in small groups nonetheless of at least 4, say every couple of weeks).
Last edit: 25 Feb 2008 21:18 by Coler (Coler).

More
25 Feb 2008 21:30 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Your friend is right you can keep at least 20 in a tank that size and it'll help keep the aggression down but Coler's right introduce them slowly over time maybe in fours so no one single fish will get the brunt of the agression being a new addition to the tank, make sure you have good filtration for these as they do best when slightly overstocked

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
25 Feb 2008 22:31 #4 by 22rabbits (niall mcentee)
told you so you never belive me :( but im right so:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More
25 Feb 2008 22:35 #5 by Murphy63 (Dean Murphy)
Thanks, and yeah have few mbuna, aulonocara and peacocks. Any advise on any what to look for next?

More
25 Feb 2008 23:59 #6 by Coler (Coler)
need to know exactly what you have in there at the moment & how many of each - post a few pics if you're not sure what they are.

p.s. aulonocara = peacock :)

More
29 Feb 2008 23:45 #7 by Murphy63 (Dean Murphy)
:laugh: Yeah finding it hard to get all these tech names.:laugh: What i mostly have is blood parrot fish, pleco,one lemon & black and blue zebra, Metriaclima,Aulonocara ,Petrotilapia, that what i if i research is correct :blink:

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2008 11:00 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:How many fish can you keep in a tank?
A 300 litre tank will make a lovely cichlid tank.
You do need to be super careful with species though as there are some real head bangers that will kill everything.

Unfortunately these are usually some of the best looking fish..

I would advise that you find out the exact species that you have & plan carefully before adding anything else.
Don't buy any 'mixed cichlids' that the shop nor yourself can't id as it will lead to disaster.

Also watch out for Melanochromis species as most of these are nasty.
Make sure you have lots of filtration - on my 200 litre tank I have 2 external filters - each of which would be suitable for a 500 litre tank.

Good luck!

More
03 Mar 2008 04:26 #9 by Murphy63 (Dean Murphy)

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds