Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Oreochromis Mosambicus

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2008 19:37 #1 by 2poc (2poc)
Oreochromis Mosambicus was created by 2poc (2poc)
For those wondering what the large orange cichlids were that they used to have in the display tank in petstop blanch - this is them:

Info here on them:
www.pisces-aqua.co.uk/aquatext/images/fish%20etc/mossambic.htm

I picked up a juvenile male at the weekend, he's not the orange version though, he's like this:

He's only 2.5 inch or so, was showing great colour in with a few females in the LFS but unfortunately reverted to dull grey female colouration as soon as he was netted.
I'm not getting any females so hopefully he'll colour up once he gets a bit bigger.

A pal of mine had the orange variety & he reached about 9 inches in size in the course of a year.

They are found in lake Tanganyika but seem to be a real pest in Australia where they are wiping out the native species.

Anyone else had any experience with them?

Cheers,
Patrick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2008 22:31 #2 by JohnH (John)
Patrick,
I saw that male last week and was very tempted, am a little sorry now that I didn't buy a pair.

You don't see them all that often nowadays - not at least the 'proper' ones, sometimes the awful 'gold' ones are offered for sale but I'm afraid I don't like those - when compared to the 'wild' type.

I kept them a long time ago (when they were one of the very few - for that time - African Cichlids available). Back then they were known as Tilapia Mosambiquie. My male also got to a bit more than nine inches - it appeared to grow every day, eating anything and everything with equal gusto. I think it was due to his greediness that the female didn't get above four inches...he was rather dominant (bit of an understatement there) and the poor female didn't get too much of a look in on the food stakes.
They did breed a few times though but I think the bullying of the male caused the female to consume her eggs soon after she had 'taken them in'. I never did see the actual egg-laying, it always seemed to have happened when I was at school...

Eventually the male finished her off, so to speak, and so I sold him to another club member who went on to win several Cichlid class awards in local shows with him!

They were very prominent in the seventies, to the point where no fish shops would take any more in from the people who had bred them, not even for free!!!

I think they are a valuable food source in many parts of Africa, they have been freely introduced to other countries within that continent, as well as to other countries as you so rightly point out.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
01 Mar 2008 23:57 #3 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Hmmm,I shouldn't maybe say this,but I have eaten tilapia,it was one of the best fish I have ever tasted,I wonder if its the same species?It is indeed a very important food farmed in Africa.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
02 Mar 2008 01:43 #4 by JohnH (John)
I'm not altogether certain that they are the same, I think the 'farmed' Tilapia are another of the species, but actually 'true' Tilapia as opposed to these non-Tilapia Tilapias...
I think I can remember seeing these being kept in marine, or at least Brackish water tanks too.
I also recall reading that Tilapia are very tasty fish - mind you, somewhere I have a Discus book in which there is a picture of someone (Herbert Axelrod, if memory serves me right) eating Discus...I think he remarked upon how tasty they were!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • 2poc (2poc)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2008 11:33 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Oreochromis Mosambicus
Thanks for the info John.
He is a seriously greedy fish - I've not seen the likes of it.
He is worse than mbuna for begging for food.
Constantly keeping an eye on me & gobbling everything in front of him.

I hope I haven't bought a monster....

The gold ones my pal had were extremely placid so I'm hoping he'll be likewise with the absence of females.
I have him in a 130 litre tank at the mo, once he gets to around 4 inches I'll introduce him into the main 200 litre African tank.

I have a couple of fish already that will outgrow the 200 litre tank in a year or so, hoping to have a suitable tank by then & he'll be moved with the rest of them.

I've also eaten Tilapia myself, not bad actually. I read on the web that this is the same species that is farmed for food. I bet they cost a lot less than I paid when they are sold for food ;)

Also read that they can be kept brackish, I hadn't seen them before - for such an attractive fish I'm surprised there arent more around.

Cheers,
Patrick

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds