Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Strange Frontosa - Any Ideas?

More
26 Mar 2008 20:02 #1 by Trimax (Trimax)
Hi guys I just purchased a wild caught sub adult Frontosa with 9 Stripes, or should I say 8 full stripes and the begining of another 1 above the eye. I have heard talk of different Variants/morphs and even subspecies of Frontosa but never of a 9 or even 8 striped frontosa. I got it for 20 euro, so has anyone any ideas what this is? a particular morph or just a mutation?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Mar 2008 20:13 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:Strange Frontosa - Any Ideas?
Hi Jimkel,

It might be easier for people to help you identify this fish if you post a picture of it on this thread.

If you are having difficulties in posting it, send me a PM and I'll post it for you.

Valerie

More
26 Mar 2008 20:18 #3 by Trimax (Trimax)
No probs ill post a pic in an hour or so, The fish has only been in my tank for about 2 hours so I want to keep the lights out for a while to settle it in. Thanks.

More
26 Mar 2008 20:54 #4 by Trimax (Trimax)

As you can see its not the most beautiful fish, but it does have an interesting amount of stripes. two of the stripes are joined together and the one above the eye is only the beginning of a stripe, so yes this could be seen as a 7 stripe which I have heard of although rare. anyways any ideas?

More
26 Mar 2008 22:35 - 26 Mar 2008 22:36 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I don't know a lot about Tanganykian cichlids but I know that with certain species of mbuna that poor quality barring or poor barring definition is a direct result of poor parental quality or inbreeding.

Here is a picture of a particularly poor quality Pseudotropheus elongatus \"mpange\" showing incomplete and sporadic barring,

This is a picture of a better quality male showing better barring, but it is still not great quality as the barring should be joining up with the barring in the dorsal fin.

This Cynotilapia afra (Cobue) is showing much better barring but it was still a juvenile fish when I took this picture. I would think that the barring above its eye has now joined up completely and would be a good example of how good colouration and barring should look.

Regards

Denis

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!
Last edit: 26 Mar 2008 22:36 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan).

More
27 Mar 2008 11:50 - 27 Mar 2008 11:50 #6 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I didn't just read your original post again! and if the fish is wild caught then inbreeding/poor parental quality wouldn't be a problem. What size the fish is now?

Would you be confident that the LFS is telling the truth, that this is a while caught fish? 20 euro seems very cheap for a wild caught fish! I couldn't see the exporters going to the trouble of sending this fish abroad. Do you know what species of \"Front\" it is?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!
Last edit: 27 Mar 2008 11:50 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan).

More
27 Mar 2008 22:12 - 27 Mar 2008 22:14 #7 by Trimax (Trimax)
I know its wild caught because I know the suppliers of this shop and I know its Fronts are WC, I also know the guy who orders the fish for this shop. The reason why it was cheap was because the guy who served me was a friend of a friend. I believe it to be a Poorly marked Cyphotilapia frontosa \"Kigoma 7 stripe\". The fronts I have at the moment as breeding stock are all High quality \"Burundi\" so I dont know If i shall use this one for breeding, Im just a sucker for oddballs!
Last edit: 27 Mar 2008 22:14 by Trimax (Trimax).

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds