Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

my latest water test

More
31 Mar 2008 21:18 #1 by john kelly (John Kelly)
:( :( :(

ive just tested my cichlid juwel 450 tank

the first thes was the ph which was 7.8mg

the second was the amonia which was 0.50 mg

the third was nitrite which was 0.00mg

the fourth was nitrate which was 80mg per ltr omg

i did a 30% water change and that will have to do until i get somw nitrate remover tomorrow

or does anybody have any suggestions ?????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2008 02:54 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
The water change should clear quite a bit of that nitrate, ph seems good for most malawi, victorian and Tanganykan cichlids you could even go up to a ph of 8.5 with them..
My only question is how long is the filter maturing as those readings seem a little odd..
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
01 Apr 2008 06:26 #3 by john kelly (John Kelly)
the filter is in to its 10th week its a fluval 405 external .

think some 1 has bein feeding them when i am at work excess feeding can cause a quick build up of nitrate

More
01 Apr 2008 15:53 - 01 Apr 2008 15:53 #4 by Trimax (Trimax)
tinfoil9 wrote:

:( :( :(

ive just tested my cichlid juwel 450 tank

the first thes was the ph which was 7.8mg

the second was the amonia which was 0.50 mg

the third was nitrite which was 0.00mg

the fourth was nitrate which was 80mg per ltr omg

i did a 30% water change and that will have to do until i get somw nitrate remover tomorrow

or does anybody have any suggestions ?????

Don't mean to be a pain in the proverbial ass but to correct your termanology it should read: PH 7.8 (Its not measured in mg)
The other results are measured in PPM or Parts per million, sorry Im analy retentive I know (No innuendo intended here folks!)
Last edit: 01 Apr 2008 15:53 by Trimax (Trimax).

More
01 Apr 2008 17:56 #5 by john kelly (John Kelly)
no offence Jimkel if you have enough time to point out my mistake then you should have time to help me with this problem ????

if not then why bother posting ?????
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

More
01 Apr 2008 21:24 - 01 Apr 2008 21:25 #6 by zale (Mark carroll)
:laugh: :laugh:

Now now ladies.

white tail what substrate are you using. Crush coral if your not using it will buffer the water & bring up ur ph.

The 30% water change should dilute your amonnia & nitrate, just check it again for the next few days & if there high just do another 30% water change.

No need to buy nitrate remover, water change will do.

Mark
Last edit: 01 Apr 2008 21:25 by zale (Mark carroll).

More
01 Apr 2008 22:09 #7 by john kelly (John Kelly)
its coral sand { crushed coral } B) B) B)

is there a need to buffer the water & bring up ur ph now ????

tested the water earlier its now 5.0PPM

More
01 Apr 2008 22:26 #8 by zale (Mark carroll)
Not really, ph of 8.2 is ideal but 7.8 won't kill them.

whats 5.0PPM ?

Sorry for asking I may have missed an earlier post by you but what size tank is it and how many fish in it, also do you have any bog wood in the tank.

Mark

More
01 Apr 2008 22:30 - 01 Apr 2008 22:33 #9 by john kelly (John Kelly)
13 CHICLIDS

1 PLECO

ITS A JUWEL 450

IVE NO BOG WOOD HAVE SEEN IT ALRIGHT BUT DONT THINK I NEED IT.DOES IT HAVE IMPORTANT USES????

5.0PPM IS THE LEVEL OF NITRATE

OR AS I WOULD SAY 5MG PER LTR
Last edit: 01 Apr 2008 22:33 by john kelly (John Kelly).

More
01 Apr 2008 22:38 #10 by zale (Mark carroll)
It's used for 3 things really

1. If the piece is big enough it will lower your ph
2. plecos need it for fibre (they munch on it)
3. it looks nice :-)

Nice size tank & not overstocked, weekly water changes & a good cleaning of the filters once a month should do you fine. I clean my internal filters at the start of each month & the external then 2 weeks later.

Mark

More
01 Apr 2008 22:45 #11 by john kelly (John Kelly)

THERE IS A LINK TO THE TANK

THE 2 BARBS AND THE 2 CIGAAR SHARKS ARE GONE TO A BETTER HOME IN BRITTAS :cheer:

ONLY HAVE AN EXTERNAL FUVAL 405 . DOONT NEED MUCH MORE AS I AM NOT OVER STOCKED :woohoo:

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF IT

More
01 Apr 2008 22:57 #12 by zale (Mark carroll)
Thats some mix you got there...very nice!

Don't know if you heard it, but your fish were whispering & laughing..:laugh: B):P

Mark

More
01 Apr 2008 23:20 #13 by john kelly (John Kelly)
NEVER QUIET WHEN U WANT IT :angry: :dry: :blush: :S :side: :blink: :) :( ;) :ohmy: :silly: :woohoo: :kiss: :lol: :unsure: :cheer: B)

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds