Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

crazy lookin pic of my leptosoma holding

More
04 Apr 2008 00:29 #1 by lampeye (lampeye)
female leptosoma holding

shes been holding since the start of march and as you can see the fry must be fully developed. mad lookin eh? ive never kept them before and this is the first pregnancy so ive no idea how many shes got in there. I'll leave her spit this lot in the main tank as im not in a position to grow them on yet (hurry up mick) but look forward to seeing what happens. shes part of a 3m 4f group in the same tank as the caudopunctatus and occellatus (in case anyone is wondering about water params/feeding). they are really active fish so its quite hard to get a photo of an individual...as soon as you focus on them they are gone!

heres an old photo of one of the males...i couldnt get a good one tonight:

lampeye

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2008 00:42 #2 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Quality snap Fran and although that picture of the male is an oldie! Its still a goodie! Make sure to post some photos when she spits.

Regards

Denis

I need some fish to photograph! :( :(

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
04 Apr 2008 09:45 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)
thanks a lot tanks a lot! i hope i see wehn she spits...its possible they'll get gobbled up before i get a chance. fingers crossed.

lampeye

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2008 11:14 #4 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:crazy lookin pic of my leptosoma holding
Brilliant pic!!
The colour on the male is fantastic.
If you want to grow on the fry I can lend you a 12 inch cube tank that I'm not using at the moment. Could even stretch to a heater & filter if you're interested.

My price might be a few of the fry though ;)

Cheers,
Patrick

More
04 Apr 2008 17:03 #5 by lampeye (lampeye)
thanks for the offer patrick but its not that i need a tank...its the missus wont let me have another tank in our flat!
i already have a 3 foot and a 4 foot in the living room and a 50l qt tank in the closet. My bro is setting up a fish room so hopefully he'll have a sapre tank for them when he's done.
they are fast growers though. i got them about 7 months ago maybe more and they were less than an inch. I'll keep you posted.

lampeye

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2008 09:45 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:crazy lookin pic of my leptosoma holding
Not to worry - I know how you feel there's an embargo on the amouunt of tanks n the house here too... Hence the 12 inch cube being empty ;)

Goog luck with the fry!

More
05 Apr 2008 11:41 #7 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Great shots, the first one is a brilliant catch, I doubt she can have too many of that size in there. I would definitely at the (C) symbol to that photo, I could see that been used aound the place.

More
05 Apr 2008 14:03 #8 by lampeye (lampeye)
will do daragh....yeah i hope she spits..it looks like a big baby! its already 1 month and apparently sometimes they don't spit and then die...thats why i didnt remove her to a tank on her own, comfort in the shoal and all that.

lampeye

More
05 Apr 2008 18:49 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
That may be a case where you have to strip her, Derek would be the man to ask.

More
12 Apr 2008 20:27 #10 by lampeye (lampeye)
unfortunately i had to strip her tonight. my first time so it didnt go too smoothly. i got 3 half inch fry out of her but damaged one of her side fins in the process. she was freaked out (still is a bit). i think the net i used to hold her in was a bit course, and may have done the damage.
the fry are in great form though...i have them in the floating lunch box with the ocellatus and caudopunk fry. hopefully they wont eat them! some of the caudopunk fry are tiny.
heres a crappy pic from above.

lampeye

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds